Piped Feldbluse - Infantry Obert Dr. Helmut Herbst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piped Feldbluse - Infantry Obert Dr. Helmut Herbst

I'm trying to find some info on the first owner of this Infantry geschönte Feldbluse made by Holters.

I have no doubts about originality but I cannot find any info on the individual Dr. Helmut Herbst who is mentioned on the name tag. The award loops kind of imply that he may have received the DKiG or some other award that was worn on the left pocket, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks... Kurt
    Attached Files

I should also add that I don't know if that ribbon bar is original to the tunic...
    Attached Files

Comment

name tag:
      Attached Files

Comment

This is a quick search from the Internet-

Dr. HERBST Helmut
        (IIb 1.Armee Korps)
        Hauptmann with DOR 01.01.34

He was a staff officer who also was given unit commands

Oberst (01.01.43)

DkiG 21-5-43 as commander (?) of GR 695

Comment

Thanks Johnny R --- you always manage to make me feel stupid; I thought I was using the same internet Kurt

Comment

Wrong Man

Kurt,

Respectfully, Johnny may have the wrong guy.

The 1939 Rank List shows a Oberst Herbst assigned to the 77th Infantry Regiment in Bonn.

The reason I think it is "your man" is that his date of rank to Oberst, 1.10.38, matches the date in your tunic

MIKE

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Everett View Post
              Kurt,

Respectfully, Johnny may have the wrong guy.

The 1939 Rank List shows a Oberst Herbst assigned to the 77th Infantry Regiment in Bonn.

The reason I think it is "your man" is that his date of rank to Oberst, 1.10.38, matches the date in your tunic

MIKE
              Our boy has a Ph.D. and the later rank etc. matches the DKiG citation, boards can be changed easily dealers do it all the time.

Comment

I rest my case- 1939 Officer's list with him as commander of the Korps Training area, so he was promoted quickly after the War started.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                  Thanks Johnny R --- you always manage to make me feel stupid; I thought I was using the same internet Kurt
                  I cheated and am old and have being doing this for a long time.

Comment

Excellent work Johnny!

-Jeremy

Comment

I recognize that poster on the wall and the brick too, nice stuff.

Comment

Boards

Johnny,

I would not assume that the boards were "humped up" by a dealer unless I had a chance to inspect them.

The uniform may also have been upgraded by Dr Herbst upon his promotion. Not making an absolute judgement but, it is "of note" that Kurt's uniform has the same date as the "other" Oberst Herbst assigned to an Infantry Regiment.

MIKE

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Everett View Post
                          Johnny,

I would not assume that the boards were "humped up" by a dealer unless I had a chance to inspect them.

The uniform may also have been upgraded by Dr Herbst upon his promotion. Not making an absolute judgement but, it is "of note" that Kurt's uniform has the same date as the "other" Oberst Herbst assigned to an Infantry Regiment.

MIKE
                          That was a poke at arrogant collectors that think they know everything. The boards of this jacket, which is in a collection that I am familiar with,is I suspect period applied. People were promoted during the War and added rank insignia accordingly. This means that the rank in the ranglisten and date does not need to match the rank on a tunic. Helmut Herbst was an Infantry officer, he was assigned to staff positions and later to command of an Infantry/Grenadier Rgt. (GR 695) as I mentioned. HH is the best fit for the tunic especially with the DKiG and the documents support this.

Comment

The tag does not have Oberst rank on it, it is "Dr." his full name which matches the DKiG lists and the rank list indicating he had a Ph.D. Not really sure where you are coming from with your thinking for this-

it . . ."is "of note" that Kurt's uniform has the same date as the "other" Oberst Herbst assigned to an Infantry Regiment."

Comment

Here is the report for DKiG award in Scheibert book.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X