Gaberdine Overcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaberdine Overcoat

I have seen the tunics and trousers made from this wool gaberdine, and just acquired this coat. I thought from the photos it was a raincoat, but it is a regualr overcoat with slip-on board feature, made from a nice grade of Italian wool. A mixture of artificial silk and late-war cotton materials were used on the inside.

I didn't see many posted, and though I'd put mine up for reference. I like the fact it has slip on boards, and is a large size with buttons tightly and originally sewn. I'm glad this wasn't turned into a assault gunners tunic!

regards, Robert
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

nice one. I had one in past. most of them I have seen had small size and markings inside pocket.

Comment

Nice clean example, it is a high quality material and is the Italian HBT you see used a lot in SS items, the Germans referred to this material as "Iron Gabardine".

Comment

Thanks John. It matches the gaberdine cap and trousers I got with that Army Jaeger officer's group perfectly.

I've always liked the look of the Italian material - it has a very clean look to it.

regards, Robert

Comment

It will also last for eternity, moth larva break their teeth on it.

Comment

I have 1 tunic that is Italian Garberdine and I didn't realize it was so firm, almost denim like. Stunning jacket though. Matt

Comment

It it stiff, and heavy. You can see why John's reference to "iron gaberdine" is so fitting.

But - looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                        It it stiff, and heavy. You can see why John's reference to "iron gaberdine" is so fitting.

But - looks great.
                        That is what they called it during the War

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X