X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCO Boards

Are these Jankes? I know the pips are RLB or something else
    Attached Files

Two more, whatever they are they are at least 20 years old. I probably have not seen them in that long
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Johnny,
      My personal feeling is that wool piping is more normally found on the dark green badge cloth, m36 pattern shoulderstraps. So, I stay away from later straps with wool piping, even though it may have been done.
      That being said, and while these shoulderstraps are very well constructed, the button hole placement is not well done. I would not want these in my collection.
      Thank you,
      Curtiss

Comment

One thing that is interesting is that they are two pieces of cloth joined with a "zig" stitch. I have seen fakes like this but they have not been joined, rather the stitch is there just for show.

Comment

...window dressing...

Comment

I had never seen it before, not having two pieces was a death knell before on the Janke boards. They must have figured it out. These came on a HBT from Doug B. a long time ago.

Comment

I think these are Janke boards, the piping and the tongue material is his trademark. Is the wool on the back actually 2 different pieces or is it all one piece with the stitching there for show? His first run of boards years ago he did do some with the wool stitched together then later on stopped doing it and just stitched it for looks.

Comment

They are two pieces, you can see the seam in the top image of post # 2, the material looks identical. I suspected they were Jankes, I just was not aware that they ever actually used different pieces and sewed them together. The first thing I noticed were the low position of the button holes, it looks to me like they may have been cut and sewn after the tress was applied and that is why they are so low.

Comment

Johnny
                  Yes they did, in fact it was his first run boards he did them on then he stopped doing it. I have handled hundreds, maybe thousands of his boards over the years. I have sold them to re-enactors and they are all pretty much the same, his early years stuff was even made sometimes with original material as he had alot of it back in the day. They are great quality boards and people still do want them for display, I think they run around $25.00 a set for EM and $35.00 for NCO rank anymore.

Comment

Thanks, good to know that. I used the two piece observation as an indication items were good when there were no other visible problems, in this case I did not like the button holes and the piping with the cut ends and fuzzy surface. They came on a tunic before I knew better, oh well, into the junk trunk they go.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                      Thanks, good to know that. I used the two piece observation as an indication items were good when there were no other visible problems, in this case I did not like the button holes and the piping with the cut ends and fuzzy surface. They came on a tunic before I knew better, oh well, into the junk trunk they go.
                      No problem. do not worry, when the first Janke boards came out alot of guys didnt know and yet today some still dont know. Keep them for future use or reference, but now that you have these when you see his again you should for sure know.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X