Opinions of HBT tunic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions of HBT tunic?

Just trying to become more familiar with this type: There is an HBT tunic on the e-stand which I'd be interested in hearing from others who have experience with these. Looking for comments on the inkstamps, insignia style and application, etc. All thoughts would be appreciated.

Here is the link:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=520901

Tunic itself is ok.

But playing the Devils advocate,

Litzen stripes should be mouse gray for an m42.That is what they left the factory with.These the earlier 38 generic style with green stripes.

The wool shoulder straps arent technically correct for an HBT tunic.

Take into account earlier insignia did find its way onto later produced period tunics and wool straps were substituted for HBT ones as well but if you are looking for factory 100 percenter then this isnt the one.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by keifer kahn; 06-14-2011, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Those are interesting points. Regarding the eagle, I'm I correct in that it is a very late type?

Comment

Yes,
        late war.

Comment

nice jacket...shouldnt breast eagles be sewn level with the jacket and not level with the pocket top? this one is parallel to the pocket top. not what i thought was the 'correct position'.

Comment

[quote=keifer kahn;4705707]Tunic itself is ok.

The wool shoulder straps arent technically correct for an HBT tunic.

Take into account earlier insignia did find its way onto later produced period tunics and wool straps were substituted for HBT ones as well but if you are looking for factory 100 percenter then this isnt the one.

IMO, HBT straps were never used by the army.
            Known originals were IMO produced for the luftwaffe (green and blue).

Until now, I have never seen a period pics of heer HBT tunic with HBT boards.

Comment

Disagree,

Shoulderstraps were produced in HBT for Heer.

Just as rank insignia was.

Try the search engine for a start point, .

Im sure others will disagree as well.

As for period pics, HBt uniforms dont figure in a huge amount of period photos, so basing a theory on that isnt a solid foundation.

Here a couple of threads to kick off,

Heres a discussion thread,
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=hbt+straps

This thread feature a nice heer artillery example from Dave suter (Post 11),
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=hbt
              Last edited by keifer kahn; 06-14-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

At the contrary of the HBT luft jacket, there is a huge amount of period pics illustrating heer HBT jacket worn by soldiers with wool boards.
                Like I said before, never seen HBT boards worn by army...
                Maybe this configuration was possible, but it's at least atypical.

Since we know HBT boards were produced in blue for luftwaffe (and splinter too), It seems logical for me to think the green ones, with the same construction were done to wear with luft HBT jacket ( classical and late model)
                all the original green boards I have handled were made without wool backing...this detail of construction is atypical for army boards (including tropical boards), but normal for luft boards (splinter, HBT, luft tropical boards, smooth or ribbed cotton, blue shirt boards)

Of course, it's just an opinion, just impossible to proove...
                But I will change my mind if someone can show me :

- A period pic
                -A green board with green wool backing or heer NCO tresse.

Comment

Originally posted by alexandre View Post

Until now, I have never seen a period pics of heer HBT tunic with HBT boards.

I too believe this to be most often the case. Of all the many original Heer HBT pieces I've handled, including this one indirectly from a veteran source, ALL have had wool straps.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mike Davis; 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

[
                    This thread feature a nice heer artillery example from Dave suter (Post 11),
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=hbt[/quote]

Nice original HBT boards, but in this case, I would say "Flak"
                    I own three pairs with the same construction typical for the luftwaffe...
                    without wool backing ( In very rare case, blue HBT boards were made with blue wool backing)

The "heer" boards showed at the beginning of this thread are obviously fake...
                    Last edited by alexandre; 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Dave Suters Post 11 was the only relevant item.

With all due respect and knowing Daves experience if he says its Heer artillery then i have no problem agreeing.

Any way Heer HBT boards have been discussed many times on here by many experienced collectors.

Logic tells me that if the Luft made HBT straps then Army would of for their HBT.What technical reason would stop them?

If the wool strap theory was accurate, why also bother using HBT backed rank insignia?Wouldnt it be just as easy to use wool backed rank insignia?

Comment

I would have to say that it most likely that a heer hbt tunic had wool boards. I guess it is possible that the heer used hbt boards, but I would surmise that most of the HBT boards found in collections now were luft issue. All the vet bring backs that I have seen with heer hbt tunics involved have had wool boards attached, only luft hbt tunics have I ever seen them come with hbt boards, usually flight or artillery.

Comment

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement and have never seen a Heer HBT strap that I believed to be genuine.

Comment

Originally posted by keifer kahn View Post

If the wool strap theory was accurate, why also bother using HBT backed rank insignia?Wouldnt it be just as easy to use wool backed rank insignia?
                            The Heer did in fact produce HBT rank insignia. The answer to your question is a simple one; wool shoulderstraps could be removed when the tunic was laundered, the rank insignia could not.

Comment

Wool is washable.

So it wouldnt make any difference if you couldnt remove it or not..

Any way we are diversifying from the original subject and we may just have to agree to disagree.

We have presented different views on the subject and id suggest to Rheinmetall that he reviews the previous threads on the subject and he arrives at his own opinion.

I was hoping previous posters on this subject would of contributed but alas no joy.

Regards KK

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X