Interesting picture with telescope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting picture with telescope?

Wondering what others can see in this picture and where it might have been taken. On the back it says res stellung, Juni 43 (reserve positions, June 43).

What sort of caps are they wearing, bergmutze or M43?
    Is it a telescope in the middle?
    What is the item with 3 holes in its end?

Also visible is a helmet with a camo cover and another without.

Thanks for any insights.

Regards,

Jerry
    Attached Files

All those soldiers wearing tropical uniforms so also caps are tropical m40/43 model ( with syntectic sweat band ) .

The item in the middle is tent pin.

Photo seem to be taken somewhere in Italy / Yugoslavia or southern Russia ( crimea ) post 1943 as the guy in left wear M42 jacket.

Comment

In front of the soldier furthest to the right (without the cap). Is there not another one of your "telescopes"? It seems to be the same as the one behind our capless friend. Perhaps the one in the forground is clearer and you can make out what it really is...as for the one in the middle, i agree it to be a tent pin.

Comment

Thanks guys, never thought of that

Regards,

Jerry

Comment

On the far right to me it looks like it might be an extra MG barrel with the receiver end towards the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
            On the far right to me it looks like it might be an extra MG barrel with the receiver end towards the camera.
            good eye. it really looks like barell for MG 34.

Comment

Definitely a strong possibility! I think that an MG Barrel is the closest guess as I see it What gets me though is the length. MG barrels varied greatly throughout the conflict, this is fact... but in comparison to the canister next to it, the "barrel" seems extremely short... Plus, the shape seems just a bit off and the barrel vents should be more prominent.. it's a hard call. I'm siding with MG barrel.. but still kinda on the fence..

Cheers,
              Jeremy D. Stephens

Comment

Nice photo Jerry! Telescope, Tent peg or whatever! Years ago I watched my Young Brother put two 30-06 rounds into a stump that had a branch laying over it swearing it was a huge Buck LOL!!! Funny how the eyes work! I want to know what that little prop or flower is stuck in the bricks above the tent peg and below the camo cloth covered helmet?
                Again a Killer photo and thanks for showing it to us!
                Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                  Originally posted by WEISNER View Post
                  Nice photo Jerry! Telescope, Tent peg or whatever! Years ago I watched my Young Brother put two 30-06 rounds into a stump that had a branch laying over it swearing it was a huge Buck LOL!!! Funny how the eyes work! I want to know what that little prop or flower is stuck in the bricks above the tent peg and below the camo cloth covered helmet?
                  Again a Killer photo and thanks for showing it to us!
                  Kevin
                  Thanks Johnny.

Hi Kevin, I also wondered about the 'flower'. The picture was called 'sniper pic' by the seller, which might be why I thought of a telescope.

Still not sure on the caps, though this pic did come with a tropical lot, but obviously not Africa.

Thanks to all who looked.

Regards,

Jerry

Comment

It is clear to me that they are cleaning their weapons, so the chance of the item in the blue square being an MG barrel is quite high.

Carles

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X