Tropical biker's gloves. (41' dated).
      Attached Files

Comment

DAK (KG Briel) vet photos.
        Attached Files

Comment

POW camp stuff.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 04-29-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Maps of 3./ Heer Fla. 606 engagements.
            Attached Files

Comment

Blanketcoat.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Here's the last of my DAK / Tropical collection.

Enjoy.

C.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MilitaryCollect; 04-29-2011, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Hi, are you sure the cape is for an officer? It looks like a variation of an issue Bicyclist cape?

Comment

Hello,

Had to break into someone's DAK library box for reference. Please see page 107 of the "Kurtz" book: "AFRIKAKORPS...", ISBN: 0-7643-1920-5 (Schiffer Publishing).

Regards,

C.

Comment

Great DAK material with many early dated pieces. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by DAKcollector1 View Post
                        Hello,

Had to break into someone's DAK library box for reference. Please see page 107 of the "Kurtz" book: "AFRIKAKORPS...", ISBN: 0-7643-1920-5 (Schiffer Publishing).

Regards,

C.
                        I actually think the book is wrong, this is an issue item and is identical to issue bicyclist capes aside from having the more common encountered hood. What ever is it I do not think it is an issue cape specifically for Officers.

Comment

Hello John,

I certainly respect your opinion.

Regards,

Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by DAKcollector1 View Post
                            Hello John,

I certainly respect your opinion.

Regards,

Christopher
                            Don't, I am just belittling it to knock down the price but don't tell anyone

Seriously, they were trying all kinds of sort of odd experimental stuff in the Tropical Research institute, this may be one of the issue items that they made for whatever reason, I suspect it is a issue items for bicycles or guard duty etc. Officers were almost never issued accessory items like this and the wide cut for the arms is identical to the issue bicycle cape that came in a pre-splinter shelter weight quarter type duck material.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                              Seriously, they were trying all kinds of sort of odd experimental stuff in the Tropical Research institute, this may be one of the issue items that they made for whatever reason
                              Agree with that. The Tropical Research Institute appears in one of my DAK dvd's and is mentioned by name. And I believe it was created in 1940 too.

My 40' dated cape is made from DAK tunic material. The material isn't canvas, rubberized or waterproof. Further, the wearer's arms are positioned inside the cape - and not outside to work. So I don't think it's for a bicycle guy.

Rather, capes were in vogue in pre to early war Germany. All the branches had them, including the A. SS. So I think it lends creedence to the notion that a "walking out" cape was perceived as needed for the tropical officers. Just a theory.

Period photos would be dispositive. Perhaps other and more knowledgable collectors could shed some light?

Christopher

Comment

Don't the long slits in front open for the arms? The dress capes you are describing (I have several) do not have slits like that. The openings on the other capes appear just like yours and are intended to allow the bicyclist cape to be worn while bicycling. The continental capes are made of just normal utility cloth, like the windblusen. Neat cape but I do not think it was issued as a issue item or dress item for officers.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X