Bevo KM eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bevo KM eagle

I would appreciate opinions on this eagle.

Al
    Attached Files

The back.

Al
    Attached Files

Comment

Does any one out there have a similiar one?

The question I have is how to tell if this is made from cotton or rayon? I did a burn test and the threads burned quickly, left some ash and did not appear to melt. I was under the impression that rayon burns like this as well so I am no farther ahead after the test, except that I know it isn't polyester or some other newer synthetic.

Al

Comment

Hi Al,
        from the photos it look fine to me, does it have a very soft, floppy nature, feel to the material ??

Ashley

Comment

Yes the material is soft and floppy so my guess is cotton but that is not the big problem as I see it. I was checking out a new postcard that I just got in the mail with a black light and was happy that the pc didnt glow at all, BUT when I looked over across the room this eagle was lit up like it was christmas.

So now I really have my doubts, if it is cotton there is NO reason at all for it to glow but I am unsure if white rayon will or should glow.

Here is a poor pic but you get the idea. The blacklight was held about 3 feet away and the eagle is in a ryker mount behind glass.

Al
          Will Rayon glow? Not a light or a reflection type glow, but a bright blue glow.
          Attached Files

Comment

In the light.

Al
            Attached Files

Comment

Bump....

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has a 'rayon' backed bevo like this would check out how it glows under black light.

Al

Comment

If it has been washed with modern cleaning chemicals it will glow, despite being original.

Cheers.
                Peter Wiking

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking
                  If it has been washed with modern cleaning chemicals it will glow, despite being original.

Cheers.
                  Peter Wiking
                  yes that's true,
                  And it does look like a good one to me too. Hopefully someone else can post another one for us to see..
                  regards
                  jon

Comment

Sorry for not replying sooner but I have to pay for this stuff somehow and working seems to be the only way.

I know about how phosphates in detergents can make an item glow, but I always thought that it would be more of a subdued glow. This eagle glows almost as bright as a piece of paper and as bright as a 'new' white t-shirt (both used for comparison when I tested it). It is very bright and IMHO too bright to be just from detergents, unless it was washed numerous times which does not make much sense.< assuming the glow would increase with subsequent washings.

This brings me to the rayon issue and the question if white rayon from this period glowed under a black light? Someone out there has the answer.

I doubt I can be happy with this in my collection now either way, but I would like to know about the rayon glow question for future reference.

Al

Comment

Hi Al,
                      sorry but when i collected cloth (stopped about 5 years ago) i never blacklighted any of my items just did not belive the test stood much ground, (my personal oppinion) and relied soley on touch ,smell and gut feeling,so sorry i cannot comment on your blacklight test results.

Ashley

Comment

just found this on the 'collectors guild'
                        http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Krieg...os/K06649.html
                        another example may help,
                        best regards
                        jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X