Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pzr Lehr RK Traeger Uniform

Alles

I’m soon to obtain this uniform attributed to Ritterkreuzträger Major Herbert Eltrich. He was a Pioniere officer, and the Commanding Officer of the famous Panzer Lehr Armored Pionieie.

Im trying to research more about Herrn Eltrich now (yes Ive google'd) but if anyone has any relevant information could you please post it here or contact me via PM? I do know he met his fate in Falaise in that fateful August of 1944.

Im hoping with the notoriety of the Pzr Lehr that some info will be forthcoming.

The grouping contains his M36 (supposedly he was wearing this very uniform in the conduct of 'earning' his RK), his Schirmutze, breeches, and interestingly, an attributed field-made RK from an EK2. This was possibly done by his troops before the conferral of the real thing. The CCC and EK are repros, added by the current owner as fillers for his actual awards. The GAB and BWB are original to the tunic/owner.

I have not yet seen the provenance for the grouping however based on several conversations with the current owner, it seems to check out.

Thoughts and information are welcome and thank Alles
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lenny W; 03-26-2020, 07:12 AM. Reason: Outside image hosting

Is that a cloth iron cross or a facsimile? Looks very interesting so far.

Richard

Comment

Hello Richard,

I wondered the same thing, but it's metal. I think it's just the way the flash caught the beaded edges of the cross. Again, the EKI is a repop that the current owner added to represent the awards of Herrn Eltrich. I have an original EKI waiting to replace it...

Thanks
      Duke

Comment

In the picture it looks like he is wearing Major boards, is that correct? What is the evidence that the tunic and grouping belonged to him? That is what I would be looking at first before researching him or buying it. Fiche of his service files may be at NARA in Virginia.

Comment

The only awards/insignia that came with the Uniform are the Knights Cross (actually IInd Klasse) and the EKII Ribbon. However, on the left breast pocket and above are decoration loops, sewn into the coat. Besides, I have researched Herrn Eltrich's awards and have confirmed all of his decorations as well as his Erkennungsnummer :-) The photo of Herrn Eltrich is prob. from Feb.1944 when he was promoted to Major.

The question I have is that I cannot find out what he did to earn the Ritterkreuz? I have found that he was posted to Army Group Center/Russland, sometime before Kursk, so he might have won it there, but cannot prove anything.

In Normandie, August 1944, he was given command of his own, named, Kampfgruppe. He and most of his unit were KIA on 12 Aug 1944 in the Falaise area..

If anyone can help with the info on his KC I would be very happy:-)

SaniUffz

Comment

I have just watched the current ratisbons auction and this is the photo album of Major Eltrich in the auction, maybe it will help you next.

https://www.ratisbons.com/31st-Conte...aise-1944.html

Comment

Hello,

What is the evidence that the tunic and grouping belonged to him? That is what I would be looking at first before researching him or buying it.

The provenance makes or breaks a uniform. Is it named. Who owned it before and where did it come from.

Fred

Comment

Not at home so I don't have my reference at hand, but he would be a Pi. Lehr RKT. There were a couple of these units which had nothing to do with the Pz Lehr Division. Straps and boards with "L 1" or "L 2" on them are for these separate units which were not a part of the Pionier Lehr Abteilung in the division.If that is the case it would still be a nice tunic to have.

Comment

Thats a 8 year old Thread
                  WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X