Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My latest greatcoat

photo's

Last edited by -Herbstnebel-; 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM.

Hi everyone,

Today this very late war greatcoat came in the mail. I think it’s original, but I’m not entirerly sure, so I would really appreciate some comments and opinions on it. Apart from some small holes, the overall condition of the exterior is good, although the inside suffered quite some damage on the lefthand side. I think it’s an M42. I have owned two early to mid-war greatcoats, and I was pretty shocked by the cloth quality of this late-war (1944) example to be honest. It’s not very thick, and seems pretty worn (not wooly), although it’s the same in spots that dont suffer that much from wearing (inside cuffs, etc.). The buttons seem small and a bit odd to me, especially compared to the two that sit on the shoulders. They are painted shiny darkgrey, the pebbling is not very strong, they measure 2cm and are not marked. The Gefreiterwinkel seems hand-stiched. I’m not sure i fit belonged to the coat originally. And what do you think about the stitching around the buttonholes? Last but not least the cloth of the shoulderboardloops differs from the rest. Is this a bad thing or normal on late-war coats?

I really appreciate your opinions and hope we can learn more from this item.

If anyone needs better pics, please let me know

Comment

Looks like a nice original late war, M43 mantle! The the way the chevron insignia is sewn lends me to think it was post war applied. One last thing, the coat is a large size which is always nice.

Steve

Comment

i like it...

cheers

Edwin

Comment

Lovely and textbook original coat with character. The crude and hasty sewing job on the chevron could be original, no way to tell. I would leave it.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all your replies! Good to hear that everything is ok with it. I've learned something new today. Does the M in 'M 44' indicate a depot, like for example 'Mainz 1944' or something? I wish the coat could tell it's story. It must have seen some action.

Comment

Originally posted by airborne_steve View Post
              Looks like a nice original late war, M43 mantle! The the way the chevron insignia is sewn lends me to think it was post war applied. One last thing, the coat is a large size which is always nice.

Steve
              It's M 42 overcoat. It was introduced in 1942 . Seen many example of this overcoat with dates from 42.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X