Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

I had a chance to buy a set from this "hoard" at one stage. They were of Pzr Gne green and still tired up like this one. I sent some good detailed pics to Scott and his quote..."good postwar fakes...but GD never, ever used this color green...".So they were indeed copies. Very well done but copies none the less and they were number of different Waffenfarben.

Comment

When these boards started popping up Mike Pruett and I got in a discussion about the use of the green waffenfarbe by GD. We certainly had no knowledge that GD used it, but speculated that the Motorcycle troops might have used them. After all these years I defer to Scotts observations. Here is the thread I started back then:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...cott+pritchett

I have stayed clear of straps from this "hoard". Jim

Jim

Originally posted by macca007 View Post
        I had a chance to buy a set from this "hoard" at one stage. They were of Pzr Gne green and still tired up like this one. I sent some good detailed pics to Scott and his quote..."good postwar fakes...but GD never, ever used this color green...".So they were indeed copies. Very well done but copies none the less and they were number of different Waffenfarben.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
          GD straps have always been rare; in the past I mostly recall singles (pairs were exceptionally rare) and they had a consistant appearance as if they were made by one or two makers. Today pairs are much more common, and it seems like there are more "variations" (IMO).
          I agree with you 100%.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by djpool View Post
            When these boards started popping up Mike Pruett and I got in a discussion about the use of the green waffenfarbe by GD. We certainly had no knowledge that GD used it, but speculated that the Motorcycle troops might have used them. After all these years I defer to Scotts observations. Here is the thread I started back then:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...cott+pritchett

I have stayed clear of straps from this "hoard". Jim

Jim
            Jim,

I'm sure I'm mistaken, but I thought it was you that bought an embroidered 5th cav. board with the yellow TK on it from that hoard. Whoever it was went against other forum members advice and bought them anyway. After receiving it he felt it was an absolute original in spite of what others said. If I have time I will try and search it out.

Remember the LAH boards with the color embroidered cyphers? Most argued that the LAH never, ever, had color embroidered cyphers. There is much photographic evidence to the contrary plus a member had these photos from an old LAH vet's widow buy. The embroidery is not white on this panzer man's straps.

Richard
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Richard,

I bought a set of 5th Cav Boards but they weren't part of the hoard. The set I got came from Peter v Lukacs. There was no story with them, just came from a long time collector. They are different from the ones that were supposedly found in a tailor shop (Thiele & Steinert ). There was a lot of great stuff in that find, but I was told by a reliable source that some of the rarer items like the 5th Cav Bds were not part of that find. Supposedly they were new made and a story circulated that they were part of that find. All I know for sure is the boards I have are not manufactured like the ones attributed to Thiele & Steinert .On the GD boards I don't know. I never heard they were part of the Thiele & Steinert find.

So I can't say with absolute certainty the GD boards are bad, any more than I can say the 5TH KR boards I have are original. I like the 5th KR straps even if no one else likes them. On the GD ones I have several texbook examples so theres no reason to jump into the fray by getting a set that some folks doubt. I do have a few non text book GD boards that would never pass Scotts scrutiny but I still like them.

As I mentioned on the thread the boards look good except for some variation in the way the GD is formed and the rare waffenfarbes. Guess I'm getting too old or too poor to make many leaps of faith these days.

Jim

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
              Jim,

I'm sure I'm mistaken, but I thought it was you that bought an embroidered 5th cav. board with the yellow TK on it from that hoard. Whoever it was went against other forum members advice and bought them anyway. After receiving it he felt it was an absolute original in spite of what others said. If I have time I will try and search it out.

Remember the LAH boards with the color embroidered cyphers? Most argued that the LAH never, ever, had color embroidered cyphers. There is much photographic evidence to the contrary plus a member had these photos from an old LAH vet's widow buy. The embroidery is not white on this panzer man's straps.

Richard

Comment

I am reminded of something I had read and was told in the 80's when I started collecting. They said don't even try collecting SS or really rare units as there are just too many reproductions out there. I hear what everyone here is saying and thank everyone for the replies. I think I'll continue with just the more common artifacts and be happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by John Walker View Post
                  I am reminded of something I had read and was told in the 80's when I started collecting. They said don't even try collecting SS or really rare units as there are just too many reproductions out there. I hear what everyone here is saying and thank everyone for the replies. I think I'll continue with just the more common artifacts and be happy with that.
                  John,

You mean all this typing was for nothing? Ha ha... I am just kidding. You are very wise if you can continue on the path you stated. Enjoy!

Richard

Comment

What about about these? Jacques
                    Attached Files

Comment

more
                      Attached Files

Comment

Not good in my opinion, have seen many similar. The construction is sloppy, buttonholes don't look kosher. I much prefer the arty set you posted.

Richard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X