BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some opinions on M36 Field Tunic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some opinions on M36 Field Tunic...

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying this tunic, shoulder boards and collar tabs for around $400. The collar tabs and shoulder boards are not original to the tunic; at some point someone removed the tabs and boards (I hate it when that happens!).

I know from here on this set will always be a put-together set, but is it still a good deal at $400? It doesn't bother me as much that these items aren't original since I don't resell. I'm just curious if you guys think this is a good deal.

(Note the rip on the back of the tunic around the right hand shoulder blade, and no equipment straps present. Also, there is a rip on the inside of the lower left pocket, visible in the photos - almost looks intentional)

Thanks!
    Dzyner

Its a good deal in my opinion..

Jens

Comment

A bargain price. It looks like it may restore nicely. It also looks like it was originally set up as an nco's walking out tunic...sewn-in shoulder boards and upgraded eagle.

I note that the collar tabs and boards are not being sold as originally being on this tunic. If it were me, I think I'd wait for insignia mounted on dark green badge cloth to restore it. Just personal taste.

Paul

Comment

Great deal. I'd take it.

Comment

Inf Regt 77 was from Colgne/Bonn ...not far from Duisburg where the tunic was made. It could be a coincidence but it could imply that the insignia (Are the boards cut for sew-in use?) did belong to the tunic or at least the same man.

A good deal, one way or the other...the boards and tabs are nice and have value unto themselves. Inf Regt 77 is an interesting unit. Part of Inf Div 26... France 1940...Kursk.. Bastogne...

The rip in the lower left pocket could be an improvised dagger/sword slot if the owner were a higher NCO (like an Oberfeldwebel) with the right to wear one. The officer's grade eagle implies this as well.
          Last edited by paulj; 03-28-2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

it is not M36 but M40 with re-worked collar ( typical work for NCO soldiers ). anyway nice original jacket.

Comment

If you don't pick it up, I do!

Nice jacket!

Cheers!

Comment

Hi guys,

I picked up the tunic last night, and aside from it being a bit wrinkled its everything I expected. Very nice set!

I have a couple questions regarding the tabs and boards...

1) Shouldn't the trim on the boards be the same metallic color as the collar trim? The seller said he purchased the tunic and accessories separately, but if they definitely go together I'll use them. I just don't want to add them to the tunic and find out later they're a mismatch.

2) Can't you ascertain whether or not this guy was in the 77th inf reg based on the markings inside the jacket? The MG tunic here...

German Tunic - Infantry Machine Gunner NCO

...shows the markings inside the tunic match the boards. I'm guessing the markings on mine are just the typical size, date, etc?

Thanks!
                Dzyner

Comment

The jacket was made in Duisburg which is in NRW but was processed and then issued through the Army clothing depot in Hannover so there is no direct tie to the unit from location, only the coincidence that the tunic was made in the same Wehrkreis it ended up in at unit level. The stamps that are in your jacket are for sizes and not the unit.

A "walking out tunic" which is what this most likely was, would generally have tabs and insignia base cloth that match the dark green wool color of the collar and in general the tresse would match or be close. The boards and tabs are not a "good fit" for this tunic but could have been worn under regulations etc. but would be unusual and IMO and probably period soldiers- sloppy and unattractive for a walking out style tunic.

Comment

worrying about 400$ for this set? It is almost a gift. Even the insignias are at 150....

Comment

$400...
                      I think i will go kick some dirt around the midwest myself today...

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! I'm very happy with the set. Once in a while we all catch a good deal. This was my day I guess.

I'm still not sure what I'll do with the litzen and boards. Sounds like they're not technically "proper" for this tunic. May keep it as-is and just display the boards and litzen separately.

Comment

A tunic used later in the war could have any combination of insignia...

Comment

Hi,

That's a great find! The Infanterie Regiment has an interesting story. A fellow WAF member makes a good research job on it.
                            I'm sure he could give you valuable infos.

Here is the link to his website:
                            http://infanterie-regiment77.org/SOMMAIRE.html

Cheers

V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X