TUNIC HELP? REAL or FAKE? VALUE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TUNIC HELP? REAL or FAKE? VALUE?

I just found this forum so please accept my apologizes for any mistakes in posting! I have not figured out how to attach images yet. But I have a few that I would like the EXPERTS to take a look at and give me there opinion! Maybe I can e-mail direct? I do not have a website to link images to and it won't let me attach.

THANKS A MILLION!

Kevin B.

This is not my field of interest but send them to rkkc73@hotmail.com and I will post them for you
    Regards
    Denis

Comment

Here are the 4 pics posted for Kevin

1-
      Attached Files

Comment

2-
        Attached Files

Comment

3-
          Attached Files

Comment

4 and last one
            Attached Files

Comment

It appears to be a very nice original transport troops tunic.The color of the piping is a little off but its either a period glitch or the pictures.A rare branch of service to have and a highly decorated individual as well.

Comment

Hi all,

Yes, that's what it seems to be. Also: it is an Officer's, this one was a Captain, private purchase tunic that looks like it's made of some sort of Gabardine. As to value, always tough to comment, all I want to say is that a similar tunic sold not to long ago for about US$ 600. But the price depends on the geo. area, the buyer and his sources, the dealer and his clientel, the preferance of the collector, the disirability of the piece and a lot more factors...

Al

Comment

It appears rather to be the blouse of a Stabsintendant (Hauptmann) of the administrative branch of the special troop service formed in May 1944 as denoted by the Mercurian staff and the light blue branch piping.

Glenn

Comment

Hello Kevin

Aren´t the schoulderboards in the Cornflower bleu waffenfarbe - for a Hauptmann - Supply officer

cheers

Jan From Flanders Fields

Comment

sorry forgot to mention...

In Brian L. davis his ´German Uniforms and Insignias 1933-1945´
                      there is a picture of a schoulderboard belonging to a Supply officer {Cornflower blue} also with a mercurian staff.

greetings

Jan From Flanders Fields

Comment

Hi Jan,

I also own think Brian L Davis's very good but now rather dated book. He incorrectly uses the rank of Hauptmann. I suppose one could consider the officers of the administrative branch of the TSD as "supply officers" but that was not the term used by the German army themselves. The administrative branch of the TSD (Truppensonderdienst) or special troop service was formed in May 1944 in the main from former military officials of the intendance and non technical administrative (paymaster) branches. The officers of this branch although considered as fully fledged members of the officers' corps did not use the normal line officers' titles. Hence an officer with the equivalent rank of Hauptmann was a Stabsintendant.

For a discussion of the TSD and it's insignia see John R. Angolia's "Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army 1933-1945" and Rudolf Absolons' "Die Wehrmacht im Dritten Reich" Band VI.

Glenn

Comment

Glenn

thanks for the detailed information - Will certainly consult these books

kind regards

Jan From Flanders Fields

Comment

I believe Angolias reference is just as outdated as Davis'.I am still of the belief this is an officer of transport and supply services or armored train.Sonderdienst officers and paymasters wore different type shoulderboards with a secondary piping.One assigned to one of these transport units may have worn the cypher as well.What also stands out is this is a combat decorated officer hardley a roll performed by paymasters and sonderdienst officers.As for value I would say around $750U.S. or perhaps a bit higher.Regards,John

Comment

Glenn is correct in his identification. The late-war Administrative Service officers were not classified as Beamten (Officials), or members or the Heeresverwaltung. As such, there was no dark green secondary piping and no HV shoulder board device. The color for medical is cornflower blue, which is considerably darker, and the medical device is not the Mercurian staff but rather the Caduceus (snake-on-a-stick). Armored trains used the pink waffenfarbe, although rail transport platoons did use the light blue - but with a Latin NS device.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X