Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different pipings in wear

Hello,
    here is a picture of a soldier wearing a stug wrap: note the different waffenfarbe on patches and boards.
    According to your experience was this a common practice?
    Attached Files

I believe the soldier to have been a panzergranadier

Gustavo
    Attached Files

Comment

They may be different colors but also the insignia faded differentially from wear. Older boards were worn with newer jackets etc. and Stug. jackets were worn with issue litzen by other branches especially support personnel assigned to tracked units. It is tough to say with BW photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Gustavo66 View Post
        I believe the soldier to have been a panzergranadier

Gustavo
        Could be a armored vehicle like a half-track "track commander". I have a set including a PAB for a MG gunner/half track driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
          Could be a armored vehicle like a half-track "track commander". I have a set including a PAB for a MG gunner/half track driver.

Thank you for the comments Johnny,
          it is a possibility that the soldier was in a unit equipped with half tracks: I believe he was a panzergranadier because he is wearing a PAB in bronze.
          Besides in the second picture I posted the piping on the boards looks like the one in the first one.

Gustavo

Comment

Guess

My guess is that he could have been issued/aquired a Sturmartillerie wrap with red piped tabs and for lack of the proper branch piped insignia he retained them. Sometimes late in the war soldiers would remove the incorrect piping and wear just the field gray base with the mounted litzen.
            Yes, with the bronze PAB he could have been a Panzergrenadier but he also could have an SPW crew member in a Panzeraufklärungs-kp. (gep.)
            Shame we don't know the whole story.
            Regards,
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael H. Pruett View Post
              My guess is that he could have been issued/aquired a Sturmartillerie wrap with red piped tabs and for lack of the proper branch piped insignia he retained them. Sometimes late in the war soldiers would remove the incorrect piping and wear just the field gray base with the mounted litzen.
              Yes, with the bronze PAB he could have been a Panzergrenadier but he also could have an SPW crew member in a Panzeraufklärungs-kp. (gep.)
              Shame we don't know the whole story.
              Regards,
              Mike
              Thank you for the comment Michael,
              I attach a further picture that could help to clarify: the number 71 on the boards what make you think?

Gustavo
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gustavo66 View Post
                Thank you for the comment Michael,
                I attach a further picture that could help to clarify: the number 71 on the boards what make you think?

Gustavo
                That to me is without question Infantry for IR 71 which was a motorized Infantry regiment. The prewar dress tunics like the Waffenrocks were worn until the end of the War with updated ranks but the original designators soldiers were assigned to when the tunics were issued.

That unit was destroyed at Stalingrad so if he survived he would have been reassigned to the rebuilt unit or another. The reformed unit was Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 71 and was comprised of a hodgepodge of units and people from destroyed units

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...enter/IR71.htm

Comment

Infanterie-Rgt. (mot.) 71

Gustavo,
                  It appears to me that with the very light color of the branch color (white in this case) with the number 71 it would be Infanterie-Rgt. (mot.) 71 of the 29. Inf.-Division (29. Panzergrenadier-Division in 1943).
                  This Regiment became Panzergrenadier-Rgt. 71 in 1944 and fought in Italy from June 1943 to the end in 1945.
                  I hope this helps.
                  Regards,
                  Mike

Comment

Quick draw Johnny

Beat me to the punch!

Comment

Thank you Michael and Johnny for the clarification
                      Very much appreciated

Gustavo

Comment

Beat me to the punch!
                        No worries, your explanation is more articulate and concise

Comment

On Target - Fire For Effect!

Johnny,
                          As usually your comments were on the money and I always enjoy reading them.
                          Please continue to keep up the good work here on WAF!

(Now, after that plug you can send me a Nebelwerfer Lehr strap....ONLY KIDDING )
                          Kind regards,
                          Mike

Comment

Johnny,
                            As usually your comments were on the money and I always enjoy reading them.
                            Please continue to keep up the good work here on WAF!

(Now, after that plug you can send me a Nebelwerfer Lehr strap....ONLY KIDDING )
                            Kind regards,
                            Mike
                            It would be hard to do, the only ones I have are on named tunics

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X