Visor eagle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visor eagle help

I sold this eagle to a member and he says it is soft to bend and thinks it is lead. He then trimmed a bit off of it and it was very easy to cut into it. Are there any signs to look for on these? Does this one look okay, or does it look like a cast?
    Attached Files
    HC

Hi,It looks like a original Aluminum Army Visor Cap Eagle to me.Jay Parisi

Comment

Looks good to me too. The alloys used to make these are very soft and easy to damage etc. Lead would be dead gray and "cloudy", this is a typical wartime issue eagle in some type of mixed alloy for an issue visor etc.

Comment

Hi all!
        It was sold to me.
        Actually it's much heavier then aluminium.
        And very soft also. Here I cut a little piece.

Comment

Looks fine. At least it can't be returned in the same condition.

Comment

looks to be a original mid war eagle

Comment

I agree with Johnny that this is some kind of mixed alloy used on these mid-war eagles. I always assumed it was some kind of zinc mixture. They are in fact very soft.

Comment

the texture inside the wreath, and the crisp, not blurred or smeared details in general, scream not lead, as well as the inside stamping.

I've handled many a 'potmetal' piece of insignia, and haven't seen any stamped. usually the details are blurry, there are drips or blobs from where it smeared in the cast, etc. I don't think anyone would fake in lead, correct me if they do fake TR items in it. Easpecially to cast a thin sheet and stamp it...seems like more work than it's worth

isn't there a required 7 day return priviledge to all items on estand? I'd imagine cutting it would void that, would have been easier just to send it back if in doubt

Comment

Don't worry about this cutting. I didn't want to send it back anyway. It was just a bit unclear why this one was so soft and heavy. Thanks a lot for explanaitions, guys! It is ok to me now and sorry for seller for my fast wrong decision about this item.

BR,
                  Alexander

Comment

I agree with the others, original war time eagle with nice prongs.

Regards Jim

Comment

Hello,
                      A pewter casting would retain quite an amount of detail. This eagle has a good obverse mould and an equally good corresponding reverse one.
                      In my opinion Pewter would also give the added weight characteristics mentioned compared to a zinc or aluminium alloy.

It has a good aged patina but I don’t think it would be one for my collection. I am just wondering if it could be early Post War memento made with original dies

All the best
                      Doug

Comment

Nice wartime eagle!
                        RonR

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X