Glue on backs of eagles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glue on backs of eagles

Hey guys, just a thought - I keep seeing eagles described as having glue on the back from some vets album, but is there not a possibility it's glue used to hold the eagle in place on the uniform before being sewn down with thread?
    Once sewn down the glue would be invisible from the front and would certainly make the job easier for the seamstress.
    I have never seen an album of eagles still stuck on a page either.
    Kai

In general these eagles will show paper remnants from being affixed to a scrapbook. If the glue had been used to attach the insignia to a uniform there would likely be remnant fibers from the uniform cloth stuck to the glue. I have never seen an original tunic that showed traces of glue from original insignia application (though I have seen poorly collector-restored tunics where glue was unfortunately used). I do not believe glue was used to hold down insignia on uniforms during the Third Reich (not in any significant quantity, at least).

Comment

Thanks Chris, the idea just came to me and I thought I'd ask
      Kai

Comment

I too have never seen an unquestionable original where glue was used to hold any insignia in place befoe sewing.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
          I too have never seen an unquestionable original where glue was used to hold any insignia in place befoe sewing.

Richard
          unless you are a crafty scrap booker with a glue gun and found a stripped tunic
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=457823
          Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
          teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X