No announcement yet.

Generalfeldmarschall Collar Tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We definitely need to know if they are cranking these out. Now knowing they are bullion really sets things in a different light for me. Please also try and extract some of that fuzz and see if it is inside of the bullion or just caught on the surface. There was a type of riker mount that used to leave debris all over everything.

Comment

Originally posted by pieand View Post
      But I think it is important to say why these are repro.

Pieand
      I don't think that is a very good idea. Alex

Comment

For me they are obviously fairly high end, but I have seen many general's tabs of comparable quality that I think are repros.

The embroidery is a bit loose and sloppy in areas. The buckram is pretty good (not great), but combined with other features is not entirely convincing. They are minty and unsewn, and have zero age or other toning. The shape of the "curls" is OK and they have the "balls", but the whole deal doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. It's all just too clean and "cute" for me. And GFM--give me a break. I would expect first rate quality, even in a late war piece.

I am sure there are a lot of these style generals' tabs in people's collections that are accepted as being "good". ****e, I even have a single that is similar and I doubt, but having acquired a few real ones (general, not GFM), I would not go for one like these again.

Comment

I have extracted some fuzz. They are inside the bullion (unterlagen).
          So what you can see outside are this kind of fuzz that are leaving the bullion and seems to be like dust.
          I also put the UV lamp on it and see nothing wrong.

Please also try and extract some of that fuzz and see if it is inside of the bullion or just caught on the surface. There was a type of riker mount that used to leave debris all over everything.
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I also put fire on these debris and they are not plastic
                Attached Files

Comment

From your latest photos it appears to be decaying celllulose or cardboard that has gotten wet and is breaking down into wood pulp fibers, which is what cardboard unterlagen is made from. It also appears that it is underneath the bullion thread, and not coming from the thread inside the bullion coils. What say you since you have them in hand and can use a loop or microscope? Can you show a photo like post #19 and focus on where the fibers came from (circled area) instead of the fibers?

Richard

Comment

Sorry Richard, I was wrong : fuzz are not inside the bullion BUT UNDERNEATH.

So, I can say that unterlagen is made of what I caught in the circle on the first and second photos of the post number 19 and have put on the higher right side corner of the tab.

And this material is like very thin fibers.

And when I have got fire on it, it became like dust and not like a plactic ball like nylon thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pieand View Post
                      Sorry Richard, I was wrong : fuzz are not inside the bullion BUT UNDERNEATH.

So, I can say that unterlagen is made of what I caught in the circle on the first and second photos of the post number 19 and have put on the higher right side corner of the tab.

And this material is like very thin fibers.

And when I have got fire on it, it became like dust and not like a plactic ball like nylon thread.
                      That pretty much confirms it then, it is cellulose (wood fibers) breaking down, in other words the unterlagen is going back to nature...slowly. I still maintain they are original.

Richard

Comment

good analysis Richard
                        No other comments?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X