Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this tunic? Sonderfuhrer?

Hello Gentlemen,

This tunic was part of a small lot of items I bought a while back. Can you tell me what this was for and if it looks right or not.

Thanks
    John
    Attached Files

another

Attached Files

Comment

and another

Comment

and another another

Comment

another another another

Comment

and lastly

Attached Files

Comment

Good news and bad news. The tunic and shoulder boards are for a Sonderfuhrer. The grey collar indicates that that is what it was in the beginning. The collar tabs are replacements. They are for a Beamten (Official). Sonderfuhrer tabs were on grey, silver litze and no piping. Can't tell from the photo - is the breast eagle on grey? If so, it is probably original to the tunic, as Sonderfuhreren were by regulation to have the eagle done on grey - although most just used the green-backed ones. The sleeve insignia is almost certainly not original to the tunic. Anyway, this is what the collar tabs should look like - (notice the direction of the pointed end of the litze bar).
              Attached Files

Comment

Good morning!

I also question the placement of the Narvik shield - should it not be on the opposite sleeve? It's hard to tell, but the award loops look a little sloppy, and it would be fairly tough for a REMF to have a combat bar...

Don

Comment

Mystery Tunic

Thanks for the info Dave. I had a feeling this was a mix-and-match piece. I believe the eagle is on grey backing but the collar is blue not grey (medical?) just like the backing of the boards.

Don I think the award loops were a sloppy addition by the previous owner. The Narvik shield is typically worn on the other sleeve, I don't know if there are any exceptions to that rule.

The tunic itself is in great shape, I don't know what I'm going to do with it though. Do you guys know what type of value I might be able to put on this if I decide to just sell it off?

Thanks
                  John

Comment

I would say at LEAST remove the Narvik Shield and Gebirgsjaeger patch. That would make it look a little better. Also ask around if anyone has a single set of Sonderfuhrer collar tabs. I will look very pretty at that point.

Comment

Your collar is the correct color. In most cases what was used is Luftwaffe tunic material - which is what yours appears to be. I've seen a number of shade variations of Sonderfuhrer 'grey.'

As for value, a 100% original will go from $750 to around $1100 (these are dealer prices). If it were mine, I'd carefully unstitch a portion of the bottom of the sleeve patches to see if the sleeve material is darker. If it isn't, I'd get rid of them. They scream 'post-war addition.' And, of course, replace the collar tabs.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X