Uniform of Generalleutnant Heinz von Randow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uniform of Generalleutnant Heinz von Randow

Several of the long-timers on the Forum have seen this piped service tunic before. I had always suspected it may have belonged to von Randow based on size and the award loops, but it was sadly unnamed. A few weeks ago a contact in Germany indicated that he had an officer's Mantel belonging to "the last commander of the 13th Cavalry regiment", but that it was unnamed. Since von Randow was the unit's last commander, I took a chance on it. Size-wise, it is a perfect match for the piped service tunic. Better yet, I found a small and heretofore overlooked set of carefully inked initials in the Mantel - vR. Although I don't think that that would necessarily stand up in court, I think it makes a fairly compelling argument. I set it up on a mannequin for this photo shoot. I also have a set fo piped straight-legged pants that came with the tunic when I purchased it. Forum member Drew Wright is also apparently a former owner of the set, so he is certainly welcome to chime in.

von Randow was killed by a mine in Libya in 1942 while commanding the 21st5 Panzer Division, and is buried in the Tobruk War Cemetery. he was posthumously promoted to Generalleutnant.

Don
    Attached Files

A
    Attached Files

Comment

I'll post some additional pics later. Time to feed the family.

Don
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Don,
        Compelling evidence, and wonderful uniforms under any circumstance!
        Thank you for sharing,
        Curtiss

Comment

A visual treat. A stunning outfit that would make any uniform collector proud.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hi Don

It look stunning. It is a great find and great research.

My friend Lt Von Gamm served on that unit

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=213104

Congratulations

Juan

Comment

Don,

This set up is especially stunning, perfect pose, very artistically arranged, etc. Congratulations on an outstanding uniform grouping.

Richard
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, all. Richard, what's funny is I just draped the Mantel over the uniform and it just "fits". No artistic posing required!

Don

Comment

That is Rock'n'Roll...

Great tunic!
                  Congratulations...

Comment

omg no words

Comment

That is "good math". The family may have sold the items and they floated about. I have a named set for a Supplementary Officer (Major) that came with an unnamed Lt. Col. Wartime offcials tunic and pants, the sleeve length, waist, pants length are all the same. They were bought from the family of a collector that died so I could never ask, but I am sure they are for the same man.

At the rank you have and with the awards I think you have really safe bet. Do the fabrics match?

There is a book on the family and on him you may want to try and get for photos-

„Die Randows – eine Familiengeschichte“ von Olof v. Randow, Degener-Verlag, Neustadt/Aisch).

I would be very suprised if there are not pictures of him in the field etc. or wearing the dress tunic etc.

Comment

Great uniform Don!

Here is a face to the uniform:
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by naxos; 08-08-2010, 10:12 AM.

Comment

What can I say but...........OUTSTANDING!!!

Comment

Agreed: superb

Comment

Thanks, John -

I am glad you know about the book as I haven't found anything about that so far! The Mantel is a straight-up doeskin while the tunic has a very subtle whipcord weave to it.

Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X