Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afrika cufftitle, opinions please.

Hi,

I'm a cufftitle virgin and this one is giving me the come on. I know nothing about them at all so could someone give me the yay or the nay please.

It is 440mm long.
    It has passed the black light test.

Cheers,
    David.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David C; 03-05-2004, 10:49 AM.
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Attached Files
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Cheers.
        Attached Files

Comment

David.

That's an original.

An easy way to tell from the front is that the hole in the middle of the 'P' second from the end should be bigger than that in the 'R' next to it. The fakes usually have these the same size.

Regards,

Robin.

Comment

Robin,

That's great to hear thank you.

You know I had gone to my library to check and I actually had pages 113/114 of "Detecting the Fakes" open when I returned to the thread

Cheers,
            David.

Comment

Never mind.

Cheers
              Peter Wiking
              Last edited by Peter Wiking; 03-05-2004, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Peter Wiking; 03-05-2004, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Peter Wiking; 03-05-2004, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Agree with Robin - another give-away is the weave inside the letters on the reverse...fakes will be distinctly different, looking more heavily and darker zig-zag/'herringbone' look.

I also always hang the thing over a finger - sounds dumb, but a 60 year old original is usually so soft and supple that it will droop very easily. Many fakes are stiffer and will feel so using this test. It will not droop softly but will rather sag under its own weight.
                    CSP

sigpic

Comment

Interesting thread, besides the difference in the R & P, if it is attached to a uniform, what other things should one lok for
                      Regards
                      Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

The shape of the "O" - but there are various opinions that say an oval "O" is just as valid as a round "O". Others that say the oval "O" is a must. The feel of the material can be a give away...just hard to fake 60 years of age to cloth. It is much more limp. The modern excellent copies are stiffer...but as you insinuate - hard to tell when mounted. My rule of thumb is that if it is mounted on a tunic, I tend to think it is a fake with about 90% probability....it (1) was not a widely done practice and (2) not many original examples would have survived in my opinion....those that have "speak to you". Be very skeptical.
                        CSP

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott,

This example is "floppy" over the finger but I have to say for something 60 odd years old it is stone cold mint. The seller says he had two of them cut off a roll. He cut the pair to sell them seperately. This is the second one.

Shame really as I'd have gladly paid double for them still joined.

It has small vertical silver stitching near the ends, presumably to mark where to cut.

Cheers,
                          David.

Comment

Hi Scott

Thanks for the information, this is not my field, but I have a uniform my wife bought for me for a birthday present a few years ago, my heart begins to sink , however, I will try and get some pics and post them, for a laugh
                            Regards
                            Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Hello,

how about this one? From what I have seen and read in this thread, it seems to be good. But it is better to ask. Only have this pictures from the seller

Thank You

Johannes
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X