Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medical helmet cover?

German medical helmet cover from History channel " battle of the bulge"

Anyone any comments ? one of several shots of footage of a german unit . Assume its genuine WW2 as the vehicles in background too ordinary to be re-enactors. He seesm to be carrying a rolled white (?medical) flag and has very narrow redcross armbands.
    Other shots from this footage indicate it is a cover (not white painted bare helemt)

another photo

Non appear to be armed -a medical unit or captured/disarmed? The leading figure appears to be wearing a tropical field cap, in winter!)

Note the lack of white linings to winter jackets on the leading figures(or camo smocks?)
    Last edited by Paul Walmsley; 07-26-2010, 07:39 PM.

Comment

one more

Comment

Reason I posted these photos was there are scant wartime photos of german medical helmets (the commonly seen repaints are said to be mostly post war or captivity painted).

This seems to be a field made white cover with red strips sewn on?

Sorry for the poor quality - the photos were taken from TV screen recording

Comment

Ken Burns "the War" (ghost front ?)
          Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
          teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Probably as you said, a field made cover. Pretty hard to say without clear detail images of the item and the inside.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Paul!

Known images from the battle of the bulge. Other medics are also visible in that movie.
              Definatly NOT while/after captivity. One of the few unquestionable proves that the red cross ID was used by frontline units on Southern (Italy) and Western front.

Regards

Jan
              'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Front line unit? they all seem to be minimally armed which makes me think they are not medics attached to an Infantry Battalion HQ (a front line unit)

Maybe a fully medical(surgical) unit on the march to a position closer to the front?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Walmsley View Post
                  Front line unit? they all seem to be minimally armed which makes me think they are not medics attached to an Infantry Battalion HQ (a front line unit)

Maybe a fully medical(surgical) unit on the march to a position closer to the front?
                  Hello
                  I am not sure why you are saying "minimally armed" since the first 2 soldiers have their weapons and the guy behind the medics is carrying a MG34 . So that would be medics attached to a WH combat unit .
                  Regards
                  P-Y

Comment

Originally posted by Soldat de Fer View Post
                    Hello
                    I am not sure why you are saying "minimally armed" since the first 2 soldiers have their weapons and the guy behind the medics is carrying a MG34 . So that would be medics attached to a WH combat unit .
                    Regards
                    P-Y

Exactly!

It has been some time since I have seen this footage, but the line of soldiers passing the camera were definatly not minimal armed.

Regards

Jan
                    'Arzt und Soldat'

Comment

Somewhere OUT THERE resides a quite original standard WH camo cover with the white side marked with large RED CROSS..I think it was also brought back on its original helmet...Billbert

Came out in the gold mine days on EBAN ....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X