Comment

HuD

6 o'clock
        Attached Files

Comment

HuD

Originally posted by John H. View Post
          Hello,

I'm starting to wonder now? Is this pre 45 or post war? I would really appreciate some more opinions on this new purchase of mine. Would this be a keeper or not? Thanks, guys!
          I don't know if they were all magnetic; mine is. Bottom line, if you have doubts and are uncomfortable with the piece it would best to send it back, in my opinion.

Comment

HuD

Here is a close up of the prongs.
            Attached Files

Comment

Jim, do your examples have the same pitting as this one on the raised borders of the outer cross edge and eagle wing span? I see a lot of small differences in both the clarity and several specific details.

Comment

John,

Here is a comparison of just the eagle. Its clearly different from the textbook and variant example. Most notable are the shape of the head, wings and the chest area. Personally I believe its likely that variations exist. However only the textbook versions have a solid pedigree and any variations will be viewed with skepticism. Jim

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
                Jim, do your examples have the same pitting as this one on the raised borders of the outer cross edge and eagle wing span? I see a lot of small differences in both the clarity and several specific details.
                Attached Files

Comment

Another example for a look...hollow back, die struck, magnetic
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

same stalingrad crosses?

Hello Jim,

First, thank you for all of the good information and pictures on this subject of the Stalingrad Cross.
                      Second, the comparison between my stalingrad cross and Schulterklappen's stalingrad cross look very similar. They both appear to be a non textbook and non variant versions? Are they pre 45? What do you think on this one?

I appreciate all of the opinions and please keep them coming!

thanks, John H.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                        What about these? The color ‘blue’ between both is a bit different, but both are very nice detailed. Love to know if they are good as I have zero knowledge about these.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I must comment on this topic.

John H., if you remember, years ago I sold you an Enlisted man's white piped strap with a Stalingrad cross. In fact, after you had it for MONTHS, you wanted to return it for a refund since you were told that it was a "variation" and not "textbook".
                          I advised you to learn more about the items you wanted to collect, since you were
                          definitely not knowledgeable about these crosses, and refunded the purchase price including your postage!
                          You've now acquired another example and are again soliciting opinions.
                          I do not question the expertise of D.Pool & D.Sutter, however, but I'd be curious where the criteria for what is "Textbook" and what is a "Variant".
                          I have had a number of examples of items from the the 134IR Hoch und Deutschmeister, including a pair of straps advertised in the "Shotgun News" back in the late 1960's: they were M44 infantry EMs and 1 of the crosses was missing.
                          also a HuD Leutnant's tunic with Erkennungsmarke. I still have two examples of straps with the crosses, one is magnetic and one is not.
                          I am also aware of a horde of loose unpainted cyphers that were found in Austria back in the '80's (as I recall, they were magnetic, die stamped, and had 4 brass(?) pins.
                          I therefore have a good deal of actual expertise on the subject (in fact, Glen, didn't the example you show here come from me?)

WAF is a wonderful asset to the collecting community, but its postings are often
                          viewed as the acid test of originality. This is erroneous, and in some cases, dangerous!

The newer class of collectors would be advised to purchase some of the excellent references available which will greatly enhance their knowledge!
                          (there as some self-servicing-less-than-accurate titles as well, so be careful!)

I did not want to pontificate, but I felt my comments here today were necessary.

I'm also anxious to hear from some comments from other experienced collectors
                          that are WAF members like Glen H, Bob H, Scott P, B.N.S, Ramsey S. ..

Chris Varrichio
                          longislandercjv
                          zoods@aol.com

Comment

Old Post

Chris this is an old post. MG-Freak just added the one he acquired (on the Mantel) as a post in this particular thread. I still have the one that I got from you.

Originally posted by longislandercjv View Post
                            I must comment on this topic.

John H., if you remember, years ago I sold you an Enlisted man's white piped strap with a Stalingrad cross. In fact, after you had it for MONTHS, you wanted to return it for a refund since you were told that it was a "variation" and not "textbook".
                            I advised you to learn more about the items you wanted to collect, since you were
                            definitely not knowledgeable about these crosses, and refunded the purchase price including your postage!
                            You've now acquired another example and are again soliciting opinions.
                            I do not question the expertise of D.Pool & D.Sutter, however, but I'd be curious where the criteria for what is "Textbook" and what is a "Variant".
                            I have had a number of examples of items from the the 134IR Hoch und Deutschmeister, including a pair of straps advertised in the "Shotgun News" back in the late 1960's: they were M44 infantry EMs and 1 of the crosses was missing.
                            also a HuD Leutnant's tunic with Erkennungsmarke. I still have two examples of straps with the crosses, one is magnetic and one is not.
                            I am also aware of a horde of loose unpainted cyphers that were found in Austria back in the '80's (as I recall, they were magnetic, die stamped, and had 4 brass(?) pins.
                            I therefore have a good deal of actual expertise on the subject (in fact, Glen, didn't the example you show here come from me?)

WAF is a wonderful asset to the collecting community, but its postings are often
                            viewed as the acid test of originality. This is erroneous, and in some cases, dangerous!

The newer class of collectors would be advised to purchase some of the excellent references available which will greatly enhance their knowledge!
                            (there as some self-servicing-less-than-accurate titles as well, so be careful!)

I did not want to pontificate, but I felt my comments here today were necessary.

I'm also anxious to hear from some comments from other experienced collectors
                            that are WAF members like Glen H, Bob H, Scott P, B.N.S, Ramsey S. ..

Chris Varrichio
                            longislandercjv
                            zoods@aol.com

Comment

I have a pair of Feldwebel straps with Stalingrad crosses in which I have always had confidence. As I recall they came from a distinguished collection from out on the island.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X