Odd metal for Edelweiss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd metal for Edelweiss

Hi all. I'm new to this site and just starting to get into collecting. Went to a WWII show this weekend and bought a box of stuff. This Edelweiss insignia was in there. Looks like original style with 5 holes, but it's not steel, aluminum, or zinc. Looks like it's entirely brass with a weird patina. Looks like it had a silverish finish at one time. I took a high contrast photo to exaggerate the coloration. Any ideas? Is it junk?

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...fd7207a7b1fe91

Originally posted by Hisownself View Post
    Hi all. I'm new to this site and just starting to get into collecting. Went to a WWII show this weekend and bought a box of stuff. This Edelweiss insignia was in there. Looks like original style with 5 holes, but it's not steel, aluminum, or zinc. Looks like it's entirely brass with a weird patina. Looks like it had a silverish finish at one time. I took a high contrast photo to exaggerate the coloration. Any ideas? Is it junk?

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...fd7207a7b1fe91
    Hi. Can't see it. need a password to get it to site.

Comment

Sorry....try this:

http://lavrich.shutterfly.com/179

Comment

I would pass on it. See what others say though. Regards, Ron.

Comment

IMHO this one appears to have suffered some heat.

Comment

Greetings All,

I agree with rbminis! It appears to have been heated up.

Fred

Comment

It does have that look of "heat stain". But it's not steel, aluminum, or zinc. I'm pretty darn sure it's brass and there's remnants of "silver" in areas.

Comment

Are you sure it's not post war Bundeswehr?

Comment

I compared with the Bundeswehr version and known originals on this site....It matches the originals quite well in shape and it's straight stalk and 5 holes.

Comment

Configuration appears good, I still say it has suffered some heat. Brass will change colors when heated, especially when heated unevenly.

Comment

I agree with the others about the heat thing but I still believe it to be a genuine badge nevertheless. I have yet to see a real good looking repro on these badges. You have your post war edelweiss for the BW but they are not repros and you do get the odd one being sold on ebay but they are rough cast and can be spotted a mile away. I like the badge.

Phil

Comment

I don't like the look of this edelweiss. Heated or not, the material look very suspicious. On the backside I think that the aplication of the centre "stigma" with the 2 little ends bended is strange, too.

I would pass on it.

Comment

I disagree. As I previously said I have only ever seen one edelweiss repro badge that comes close to be capable of fooling an experienced collector but I am no expert and have most certainly not seen them all. However, original TR edelweiss come in a lot of variations some with makers marks and others without. As for the small clips bent over at the back of the badge I have seen variations with small clips and variations with large clips so I dont think that is anything to go by.
                          As for the metal used I dont think you can confidently tell without the badge in your hand and if it is a repro then why would they not make it from aluminium as it is so plentiful these days. Why would you go to the trouble of making a reproduction of an inexpensive item and use an uncommon metal...doesnt make any sense to me. And from what I can see this badge has good detail which is lacking in most of the cast repros I have seen. I would take a risk with this badge but thats just my opinion.

KR
                          Phil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X