Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

use of unit numerials on rank/shoulder boards

Dear Forum,

does anyone know whether or not it was possible in the German Army to contine wearing unit designation number - f.e. a 5 for Panzer Regiment 5 - after one had left that unit and would be serving with another regiment? Or was this not done and were regiment numbers removed or replaced with a different numerial after one was reassigned to a different regiment? I am doing some research on a uniform that has a specific regiment number but other decorations on the tunic suggest that these were won with a different regiment. Any help is truely appreciated!!!

Cheers, Willem

Nope, they were replaced. During the war, they were only (supposed!!!!) to be worn behind the front lines.

Could it be that he recieved the awards in a previous unit and carried them over? (as that did happen!)
    Last edited by SheikAlStranghi; 05-21-2010, 07:01 PM.

Comment

In my opinion this did happen.

I have an Artillerie officer grouping, including the officers feldbluse. The shoulder straps have the numeral "7", the shoulder strap buttons numeral "5".
      Both these numbers relate to his Feldersatzabteilung, and have nothing to do with his wartime service. I know this, because his soldbuch survived too.

Included with the grouping are wartime pictures, from private to officer, which shows the same combination in use. There is also a nice picture of my feldbluse being worn, after the officer got wounded in Normandy.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPS View Post
        In my opinion this did happen.

I have an Artillerie officer grouping, including the officers feldbluse. The shoulder straps have the numeral "7", the shoulder strap buttons numeral "5".
        Both these numbers relate to his Feldersatzabteilung, and have nothing to do with his wartime service. I know this, because his soldbuch survived too.

Included with the grouping are wartime pictures, from private to officer, which shows the same combination in use. There is also a nice picture of my feldbluse being worn, after the officer got wounded in Normandy.
        usualy, numbers on butons for shoulder straps indicated a compagny level.
        derka

Comment

additional question - wearing numerials on the front line

Thanks for the replies so far. I am talking about an officer's shoulderboard with a regimental number on it. Based on the discussion I have an additional question. Would it be possible to see a frontline officer in the latter part of the war (post summer 1943) still wearing his regimental number on his shoulder boards at the front? Or would this be a big no-no as this would provide too much intel to the enemy? Does anyone have any pics of officers wearing regimental or other unit insignia on their shoulderboards at the front in the second half of the war?

Cheers, W

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X