Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted M40 / m42 Mantel

Gentlemen,
    I was hoping to get some opinions about this...
    I recently took a chance and chased after this Greatcoat in hopes that it was a good example of a late war coat. I believe it is a converted M40 with the later M42 collar added. There appears to be a few replaced buttons and some very well done field repairs. I got it for what I thought was a fair price and am overall very pleased, but I would love to get some opinions.

Many Thanks

Image 1 of 6

Image 2 of 6

Comment

Image 3 of 6

Comment

Image 4 of 6

Comment

Image 5 of 6

Comment

Image 6 of 6

Comment

Why do you think the coat is modified? The DAF button(s) are fun.

Comment

Why do you think the coat is modified? The DAF button(s) are fun.
                I only assumed that it was converted as the collar is a slightly different shade and the stitching on the collar wasn't as neat as other examples I have seen.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Hello
                  I don't thank your coat was converted , from the markings with a RNnr the collar does "fit" and from the reverse it does look like the same wool .
                  Regards
                  P-Y

Comment

I agree, an as-issued M42 in my opinion.

Comment

is that really an m42 collar? looks just like an m40 collar...but perhaps m40s were a tad smaller...doesnt leap out at me as a 'large collared' m42...
                      buttons replaced and over generously spaced...all in all a nice piece....see why you chased it.

Comment

is that really an m42 collar? looks just like an m40 collar...
                        I thought the same thing at first, but now having it in hand it does appear to be larger... Maybe a better photo would help.
                        Thanks for the comments guys.

Collar Photo:

Comment

Original collar for me, matches the rest of the coat in wear. Construction is correct for an Einheitlicher Tuchmantel 42. Stitching of the collar is exactly what I would like to see. Nicely marked, and the Deutsches Arbeits Front on the inside are a nice, and bit uncommon feature. Nice example, thank you for sharing Just the way I like these best: worn, but not torn.

Best Regards,
                          Vincent S.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone...
                            I am quite pleased.

Comment

Pictures removed. Another completely useless thread.

Steve
                              ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X