CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camouflage Sumpftarn sewing pattern I been studying my pair of Sumpftarn - Marsh pa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camouflage Sumpftarn sewing pattern I been studying my pair of Sumpftarn - Marsh pa

I been studying my pair of Sumpftarn - Marsh pattern trousers. I believe these are the 1943 camouflage pattern even though they have the characteristics of late war with the wooden toggle suspender buttons.
    As you can see in photos the rain pattern is sewn horizontal and not vertical. I went through my reference books and many website and the closest I found to horizontal sewn is the knee area in one photo. No other coat or trouser with major horizontal sewn.
    My question was the change from 43 to 44 pattern an attempt for better camouflage by softening the sharp lines of the 43 pattern ?
    And now.. Could my horizontal sewing been a attempt at breaking up the camouflage line by sewing in a different direction.
    Heavy thoughts looking at a pair of pants all night, I need to get a life !!!

Tom
    Attached Files

back side

back side
    Attached Files

Comment

close up front

close up front
      Attached Files

Comment

close up rear

close up rear
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Interesting questions! Normally, fabric was to be sewn in such a way that the camouflage print was positioned 'vertical' (ie. with the rain strokes in vertical direction). However, as seen here and on other examples, it sometimes happened that the pieces were assembled differently, resulting in horizontal positioning. This has nothing to do with improving the camouflage effect, just a small variant in construction. This is also mentioned in my book, which happens to cover all winter uniforms.

The Sumpftarnmuster 44 was indeed an improved version of its predecessor, being the Sumpf 43.

Best,
          Vincent S.

Comment

Horizontal "striping" on jacket

Horizontal "striping" on a mint jacket. Body is horizontal. Arms are vertical striping......
            Attached Files

Comment

Back side

Back side
              Attached Files

Comment

I recognize that one, superb example! Well, Michael Davis doesn't sell anything but quality items.

Best,
                Vincent

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X