Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luft Felddivision NCO collar tabs real?

Hi,

what about these Luftwaffe Felddivision NCO collar tabs, are they genuine? Look not bad IMO.

Thanks for all opinions.

Best wishes,
    Steve

They look good to me, I know I saw them somewhere. Unusual backing material, but looks of the period. I'm sure the Luft. tab collectors will be able to offer more accurate info.

Comment

Yeah, I hope so.

Thanks, Richard!

Comment

Did you win them?

Comment

No. I never bid. I am looking for these kind of NCO tabs in yellow, not in green.

Just curious.

Comment

Dear Ramjet,

I have never seen an overcoat tab for FD, but that being said, I like the construction of the tabs, especially the reverse. I have never seen a reproduction tab with the flaps of badge cloth sewn down like they are on this one. For me the sew down is always a good sign.

As for the backing material I have no problems with the material used here. Backing material varies widely and I have seen cardboard, scraps of cloth or even sheet metal used for the backing material. The material used on yours does not look like any I have seen on repro tabs.

Lastly (I dont have my references here), these are Overcoat tabs since the tress is sewn on the tab material. The tress is, I believe, non standard. There was a regulation which prohibited the use of these overcoat tabs, but I can not remember the date of it. That will be important since FD tabs had a very short lifespan and you would want these tabs to fit into the regs, for example if the regs prohibited the wear of overcoat tabs in mid 42 and FD tabs were only made in 43-44 that could be something to consider. FD tabs were instituted in '43 but I dont recall when the regs changed to prohibit the overcoat tabs. I thkn the reg which prohibited the overcoat tabs was in 43 or 44, I will try to check.

Hope this helps.

Gary B
            Attached Files
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Hi Gary,

thank You for Your explanations!

The tabs are not mine, they were sold today on Ebay. I was just curious about them.

By the way, if You ever want to part of the Flight NCO OFw overcoat tabs You have posted, they are exactly what I am looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
                Dear Ramjet,

I have never seen an overcoat tab for FD, but that being said, I like the construction of the tabs, especially the reverse. I have never seen a reproduction tab with the flaps of badge cloth sewn down like they are on this one. For me the sew down is always a good sign.

As for the backing material I have no problems with the material used here. Backing material varies widely and I have seen cardboard, scraps of cloth or even sheet metal used for the backing material. The material used on yours does not look like any I have seen on repro tabs.

Lastly (I dont have my references here), these are Overcoat tabs since the tress is sewn on the tab material. The tress is, I believe, non standard. There was a regulation which prohibited the use of these overcoat tabs, but I can not remember the date of it. That will be important since FD tabs had a very short lifespan and you would want these tabs to fit into the regs, for example if the regs prohibited the wear of overcoat tabs in mid 42 and FD tabs were only made in 43-44 that could be something to consider. FD tabs were instituted in '43 but I dont recall when the regs changed to prohibit the overcoat tabs. I thkn the reg which prohibited the overcoat tabs was in 43 or 44, I will try to check.

Hope this helps.

Gary B

I think Gary has nailed it. I'm pretty darn sure that the wear of tabs on overcoats ceased even before the formation of the field divisions in late 1942. I'd be very suspect.

Comment

The LW stopped putting tabs on their overcoats on 29May1942. They were ordered removed from overcoats(except Guard Reg Berlin and Fuhrer Flak Battalion) by 01Oct42.

However, with that being said, I do like the construction of these tabs. If it were not for the orders stated above, I would have no problem accepting these insignia as good, based upon the photos.

Out of regs, yes. Within the realm of possiblity, yes as well. I would definitely want to look at these tabs in had prior to making a firm decision, but I really like what I see.

Comment

dhdhdhdhhdhdh

The big dogs have spoken. There are all kinds of exceptions to the regs as stated. If these looked like so many other FD and HG tabs, I would run away. But like Gary said, the backs are really convincing. Another set that begs for a period photo to show up.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X