Other Ranks Panzer Boards: SS vs. Heer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Ranks Panzer Boards: SS vs. Heer

I know this is probably back to Straps and Boards 101, but I was wondering how you can tell the difference between NCO or other ranks SS or Heer Panzer Boards, assuming that there are no devices attached.
    I have bought Black boards that I was told were SS, and then I see Heer Panzer that look identical, but are less in price. I bought a set of O.R. "SS Cavalry" slip-ons identical to those being sold by Bill Shea. I was told they could be pre-1943 Heer Panzer Recon, 24th Panzer Division or SS Cavalry or Recon. I paid a Heer price of $125. Bill's are over $300.00, if I recall. As we pay a big premium for anything "SS", is there a way to differentiate?
    Or is it that if you collect SS, they are SS, and if you collect Heer, they are Heer!?
    Thanks,
    Chris Werner
    "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
    -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

I think you've already spotted it, Chris

"SS" costs more.

Comment

That's what I suspected, Rick. I thought maybe there was some "secret" you advanced oracles of wisdom knew that I didn't. Something like the cloth backing type used, stitching, etc., like the secret "SS" in the breast of bevo sleeve eagles.

I guess I'd rather just buy Heer Panzer Boards and "upgrade" them myself to SS-Panzer.
      Thanks,
      Chris Werner

Comment

Chris:
        Here are some generally accepted (publsihed) rules differentiating between Waffen SS and Heer panzer straps. I emphasize general rules - as (1) not everyone accepts them (although I do - in general) and (2) there are always exceptions.

Heer straps were made of all black cloth (top and undersides) - Waffen SS feldgrau undersides.

Heer strap slip on tongues taper to the ends (ie, wider at the base than at the buttoning tip) - Waffen SS are uniformly wide down the length to the buttoning end.

Heer tresse on NCO straps was the typical 'diamond' pattern - Waffen SS was the SS 'waffle' pattern. They all varried in shades of color - the Heer tresse ranging from anything bright silver aluminum to dark subdued silver-gray or just dark gray - the Waffen SS from bright silver aluminum to a goldish hue of gray.

Heer you will pay less for - Waffen SS you will pay more for - all else being the same except the name.

Here is an example from my own colecting experience. I once got a single Heer Panzer strap that was advertised as being ordnance orange...it was an NCO strap. If true it would have been amongs the rarest waffenfarbe there is on a panzer strap...in fact so rare, it is almost unheard of beyond say a guess that it could have existed. The strap was 100% wartime original. I cannot recall what I paid for it - it was about 10 years ago - but I am guessing $150. I returned it because it was feldgrau backed - to me = waffen SS (which I do not collect, so for those who do, if I have stated anything incorrectly in that regard - I apologize and admit to my ignorance). The seller disagreed verbally with me, but it appeared again at the SOS a year later for $300 and labeld as Waffen SS (recruiting?).

Any of this help?
        CSP

sigpic

Comment

Scott, yes it does help a lot. But as always, I seem to run into the exceptions. I traded an SS-Oscha. slip on to Bob Hritz which had a black sailcloth underside, all original. I just picked up an SS-Panzer Uscha. sew-in strap with the Waffle tress, but again with the black drill cloth underside, from Bill Shea. I paid the "SS-premium."
          The slip on Panzer Boards with the golden yellow waffenfarbe I described previously have feldgrau undersides, but the tongue tapers a la Heer slip-ons. I guess they could be SS or Heer. They are unissued, and have the paper band holding them together. I suspect they are SS as I believe the Heer got rid of the golden yellow waffenfarbe for recon after March, 1943 (they went to rose-pink), and only the 24th Panzer division "officially" wore golden yellow waffenfarbe after that date.
          (At least, that's what I've been told.)
          Thanks for the feedback. I'm always learning something new here on the forum!
          Chris Werner

Comment

Chris,

Can you post some scans,
            Dave
            DaveJ

Comment

I can't post yet, but I plan to in the near future. Anyone else want to weigh in on this issue of differentiating Waffen SS Panzer Straps from Heer Panzer?

Comment

Oh yeah. Didn't the Luftwaffe use a type of "waffle pattern" tress? Col. Angolia says that sometimes Luftwaffe tress was used by the Waffen SS when Army diamond pattern tress was unavailable.

Comment

Chris:
                  I believe one can find examples of about anything being mixed and matched between the services...however, such practices were not the standard. So, from a collector's standpoint, one is usually best off with examples in their collection that measure up to a widely accepted standard. To the extent one does not, it does not necessarily diminish the item's importance, value or desirability...but it does add some conjecture.
                  CSP

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott. A digital camera is in the works so I will finally be able to post some of these goodies.
                    Chris Werner

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X