Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slip-on versus Sewn-on Boards

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions on everyones personal preferences or feelings on wether you think sewn-on boards are more appealing than slip-on boards when buying a tunic? Do you think sewn-on boards add more value? What do you feel the pros and cons are about each?

Thanks
    John

Hi John, interesting question. I have no real preference between the two types when found on a tunic. But when buying them loose I must admit that I prefer the "slip-on" type. They kind of feel more "complete" if you know what I mean? I tend to think of "sew-in's" as lacking something and being torn from a uniform; hard to explain what I mean

When buying a uniform with "sew-in" straps it does have some advantages over "slip on's" in that it is much easier to know if the straps are original to the tunic. You can often detect signs of removal/replacement/tampering that is not apparent with "slip on" straps.

"Slip-on's" can be switched; a tunic say a Heer M40 or M43 with einheit litzen, might start life as a transport / supply tunic and with a switch of straps become a more desirable Infantry one? Hard, if not impossible to detect, if the straps have the right amount of wear that matches the tunic.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ade's remarks are all right on the mark. Personally I have no real preference...it is just another aspect of the overall uniform to take in to account. I will admit that I prefer to see an officer uniform with sew-ins to some degree.

I think sew-ins are just as easily replaced...but easier to detect as replaced many times.

My inclination on collecting boards and straps (disregarding any uniform) is to prefer slip ons for some reason...but it again, does not matter. I just prefer used to mint (although I do have both).

Also - I think it has little, if nothing, to the notion of added or decreased value..if it is authentic, it is authentic.
      CSP

sigpic

Comment

Sewn In!

Hi All -

I belong to the sewn-in camp with regard to tunics. I think it is a little harder to disguise a replaced sewn-in board. Since I collect mostly officer items, I agree with Scott that to me it is preferable to have sewn-in boards as opposed to slip ons. With slip ons, I always have to wonder just a little bit more, as I think it is easier to replace collar tabs without detection than sewn-in boards. That said, I am going to look at a Fliegerbluse tonight that has slip-ons for a paratroop Hauptmann, so never say never!

Don

Comment

Hi All,

I prefer the sew in on the uniforms. The slip-ons are more expensive if bought at a show. It is harder to replace sew in, that's for sure as I have had to repair some before that were damaged.
          Terry Keller
          "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
          Rammstein

Comment

I know the original post was over straps on uniforms. However, I literally received these this week. One a set of Panzer Feldwebel slip-ons...the other a set of mint Aufklärungs EM straps. Hard for me to say which I like better, but easy to state which is worth more.
            Attached Files
            CSP

sigpic

Comment

EM set
              Attached Files
              CSP

sigpic

Comment

Scott, it looks like the Feldwebel straps were upgraded, based on the hand stitched piece of tress "closing" the tress. Very cool!

I agree that slip-on straps are more expensive. They can be added to any uniform, whereas sewn straps are tougher to work with. For me collecting wise, I have yet to buy a pair of sewn in straps.

Willi
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi:
                  Yes - you are correct . This hand sewn tresse across the bottom is quite common on Heer NCO straps. This means the guy received two promotions at some point from being an Uffz. - which is what these straps originally were manufactured as. However, the rank of Unterfeldwebel was so uncommon in the Heer that he probably went straight from Unteroffizier to Feldwebel.

Actually, the Aufklärungs EM straps were more expensive this go around....but as much due to rarity as anything.
                  CSP

sigpic

Comment

I like straps and boards (that was for you Willi ). I find them occasionally and have a small (very small) collection of them. On a uniform, I prefer the sew ins. By themselves, I prefer the slip ons. Just me, but sew ins by themselves seem like they are just part of something rather than a whole unit...if that makes sense. In all cases I prefer used/worn to mint unissued.

Comment

On uniforms I'd rather have sew-ins - for all the reasons mentioned - as long as they were the 'norm.' For loose cloth I prefer sew-ins for officers and no real preference for the enlisted ones.

Love those Aufklärung straps Scott.

Comment

I don't have a preference as far as slip ons as opposed to sew-ins as long as the board has character. I prefer salty to mint, unissued, but I'll take what I can get as far as the rarer or more high demand boards.
                        "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
                        -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

Comment

Dave:
                          Thanks - even though I divested myself of a lot of straps and boards, I still seek kinds like this. This particular unit used both rosa and gold-yellow - and I have a similar one in pink ... but a single.
                          CSP

sigpic

Comment

Well, you could sell me one - then you'd have all singles - you know, kind of a symmetry thing.

Comment

you misspelled "sympathy" as "symmetry", I think.
                              CSP

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X