Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifyung uniform

Hi

For family history purposes, I'm trying to track down the service record for a Friedrich Dester born 26 March 1910. Very little is known about Friedrich's war service. Apparently he was an Under Officer and then at some stage was an Officer. I have a few photos of him in uniform and was wondering if anyone can help identify his Unit etc. I have the images on my PC but I'm not sure how to attach them to this post - any tips ?

Also, where can I look for his service record ?

Hoping for some much needed assistance !!

Marion Ellis
    Queensland, Australia

You can get a free account with photobucket and up load your pics there then post the [img] link and the pics will show here, or post the link to the picture

Comment

Welcome on board.
      For his service record you can contact the WASt in Berlin.

http://www.dd-wast.de/frame_e.htm

Cheers,
      Towarish

Comment

I would start with the US Archive in College Park, Maryland, USA. You can google thier address. Write to Attn: Modern Military Records. They have 1000's of officers records on microfilm. They would need that name, birthday and anyother information you can provide.
        Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Identifying uniform

Hi Everyone
          I posted an earlier message regarding a Friedrich Dester and what Uniform he was wearing. After receiving some useful advice, I think I now have uploaded the images correctly. Here goes:

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/a...e_04/Uniforms/

Not sure if the above "looks right"

Apart from these photos, I will follow up on the other advice given.

Comment

A dumb question.....

Originally posted by Paul Chepurko View Post
            I would start with the US Archive in College Park, Maryland, USA. You can google thier address. Write to Attn: Modern Military Records. They have 1000's of officers records on microfilm. They would need that name, birthday and anyother information you can provide.

I've googled the site as you suggested. I know that this sounds a stupid question but will this facility in the US have German Wehrmacht records ?? I followed the links to the contact area and it seems to only relate to US Forces.

Comment

Because you are family WAsT would be the best bet to start. Use the link above and look at "Tracing Request". The majority of records in Maryland are for Prewar and regular officers, you can try to see if there are records but he would have most likely been commisioned later in the War and records after 1939 for junior officers are rare. Good luck.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Johnny
                Thanks for the advice. Did not see the link you referred to in your message but I've googled away and found it. The WASt looks a promising lead. A couple of things though, they say they don't acknowledge any mail (so how do I know if they have received my request and payment??) and the site blurb says it can take up to 12 months to complete the search!! Seems an awfully long time

Comment

The link was provided in number three- They are nicer to family members. Write saying that you are reconstructing the family history. Who he is in relation to you, his DOB and any other info. They will respond. Just send it first class mail. This is a Government agency, they are not going to take your money and it usually take much less then 12 months. They are the only people with the records so it is their way or the highway etc.

Comment

Waffe-ss uniform ??

I have now been told (by a friend of a friend!!) that the photos I posted earlier

"Show Friedrich Dester's climb up the ranks. Apparently, the photos of him with the steel helmets, show he is 'General Infantry' possibly Waffen-SS, but can't be certain due to it being in black and white...The uniforms were much more color orientated. Then it looks like he moved up the ranks, in the first photo, which clearly shows he is a 'Transport troop of Waffen-SS', a real dangerous job! then the third photo, is of him as a Waffen-SS Officer, so he must have been good at what he did.
                    Waffen, meaning 'armed' and ss standing for Schutzstaffel, which meant 'protective squadron', were seperate to the regular German army, and was created by Hitler, as a sort of special force. Waffen-SS were only around from1940 to 1944"

Can anyone else confirm the above ?

Mazze

Comment

Friedrich was just regular Wehrmacht. No Waffen SS.

Comment

Originally posted by mazze View Post
                        I have now been told (by a friend of a friend!!) that the photos I posted earlier

"Show Friedrich Dester's climb up the ranks. Apparently, the photos of him with the steel helmets, show he is 'General Infantry' possibly Waffen-SS, but can't be certain due to it being in black and white...The uniforms were much more color orientated. Then it looks like he moved up the ranks, in the first photo, which clearly shows he is a 'Transport troop of Waffen-SS', a real dangerous job! then the third photo, is of him as a Waffen-SS Officer, so he must have been good at what he did.
                        Waffen, meaning 'armed' and ss standing for Schutzstaffel, which meant 'protective squadron', were seperate to the regular German army, and was created by Hitler, as a sort of special force. Waffen-SS were only around from1940 to 1944"

Can anyone else confirm the above ?

Mazze
                        Thats a load of crap.
                        Your family member was in the Wehrmacht, simply because he has the national eagle on his chest instead of his arm like the SS did.

I can only see small picture's, but the first picture (him sitting on a chair) shows the following:
                        * M40 model uniform.
                        * Early war side cap.
                        * M36 model Obergefreiter rank stripes on his arm (that is the rank just below Unteroffizier).
                        * Medal ribbon trough his second front button as was normal, i think for the verdiensten kreuz (second class), but i can be wrong!
                        A bigger picture can tell for sure.

Then the 3 other picture's shows he made a promotion and the following:
                        * M42 uniform.
                        * Enlisted man peak cap (not for field use).
                        * NCO braid along his shoulderboards and collar (and in this case he is an Unteroffizier).
                        * Medal ribbon stickpin above his left chest pocket instead of through his second front button hole as earlier on his M40 uniform.

I hope you understand, and that i havn't said anything wrong... my English isn't the best...
                        I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
                        Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
                        My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Thanks for that - wasn't sure at all that it was Waffen-SS

Can you advise confirm or otherwise whether Friedrich was an NCO is some of the photos and an Officer in one of them ?

Comment

Can you advise confirm or otherwise whether Friedrich was an NCO is some of the photos and an Officer in one of them ?
                            The last the photos show him as an Unteroffizier (NCO)
                            On the fist photo he's a Obergefreiter - enlisted man-

Originally posted by Rick Admiraal View Post
                            Th
                            Obergefreiter rank stripes on his arm (that is the rank just below Unteroffizier).
                            You are missing the Obergefreiter with more than 6 years of service and the Stabsgefreiten.

Comment

Originally posted by Towarish View Post

You are missing the Obergefreiter with more than 6 years of service and the Stabsgefreiten.
                              Ah yes you are right.

No, only as Obergefreiter in the first picture and Unteroffizier in the last 3.
                              That peak cap in one of the picture's doesn't mean he was an officer.
                              Its an enlisted man peak cap, an officers cap is a little bit differend.
                              I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
                              Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
                              My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X