MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-attaching a pith helmet eagle, what is the safest way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-attaching a pith helmet eagle, what is the safest way?

Hi Guys,

Maybe I'm being too overly cautious, but I've seen too many eagles with the pins broken off the back, and since these are 70 years old, I want to play it safe.

This is a project I will probably be tackling in the next week or so. I know that hot metal tends to bend easier than cold metal, so I'm wondering if I should heat up the pins before trying to straighten them out for insertion into the helmet? Has anyone had any experience doing this? If heating the pins is a good idea, what is the best method?

By the way, this is a large eagle for the front of a pith helmet I'm referring to, not the smaller eagle for the side.

Like a paper clip, if its bent too many times back and forth, it will break. I doubt if you can get it hot enough to do much good... If it's a "fresh" prong, should be OK...

Comment

No heating !

To straighten the prongs you've to avoid any pressure on the place where they're soldered ..
      First check with a loupe if the solder hasn't too much cracks, otherwise I wouldn't even start.
      Don't bend them back in one movement, first try to put something under it to make some room, piece of cardboard, match stick, all depends how flattened they're, then take a small pair of plyers with a long small beak with some cellotape wrapped around both parts of the beak to avoid indents ..
      Try to grab the prong where it is bend and only squeeze it a bit by using only the point of the plyers, when done right the prong will lift a bit, then continue by using a wider part of the beak .., squeeze, don't bend.
      The beak of the plyers also has a smooth part, this can be used at the end to flatten the prong all out.

Hope I'm a bit clear ..

Jos.

Comment

Heating the pin would be a waste of time, IMO.....

the trick is to use a nail, dental pick, small screwdriver, or something and hold that against the pin so that the "bend" occurrs above where the pin attaches to the emblem....

most breaks occur at the junction of the pin and the badge....using something
        to elevate the "bend" will keep them from breaking....same thing when straightening the pins....hold the nail against the pin at the fold (outside of the bend) and carefully straighten it while applying equalizing pressure.....works 99% of the time (unless already weakened).....

Think about it....and work carefully and slowly....if this makes no sense, PM me...I'll try to explain what I mean better.
        John G.

Comment

Yes, it all boils down to support the prong from both sides ..

Jos.

Comment

Pith eagle

Thanks guys, this is great information. I completely understand what you are both saying and I'll give it a try.

Here is the before shot. I'll post the finished helmet in a different thread when it all comes together.
            Attached Files

Comment

Dang...Nice eagle....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X