Luft HBT splinter camo strap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luft HBT splinter camo strap.

Based on an earlier discussion on some possible field made straps, here is a rare HBT factory made splinter Luft strap for the ground division jacket. Found this today at a show, but only as a single....

Willi
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Where is the other one?

These are rare indeed, Looking for a pair myself to finish up one of my ground jackets.

Maybe a photo of the shoulder board opened?

Thanks for posting Willi
    Michael

Comment

Has anyone seen a picture of these, or in a collection with piping or rank?

Comment

Hello Perry,
        Yes there are a couple photos around showing these in wear, almost all on splinter camo ground jackets. Piping and rank wouldn't be added to these shoulder boards as they were designed for camoufalge, but on the field anything is possible.

Michael

Comment

If not used for rank or piping wonder why they bothered making them? Not saying they didnt exist but wonder why they bothered. Considering the Wehrmacht used the shoulder board extensively for branch/rank in all services..
          If you needed to camo a board and leave off everything the best camo would be not to have it at all...

Comment

Odd those Germans are.....
            I guess that we will never know for sure on some subjects.
            Yes, they did bother making them but only for a couple of months and stoped producing them shortly.

Yes, leave the complete shoulder board off....or.... as period photos show cover the whole thing up with a piece of wool.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Floyd
              If not used for rank or piping wonder why they bothered making them? Not saying they didnt exist but wonder why they bothered. Considering the Wehrmacht used the shoulder board extensively for branch/rank in all services..
              If you needed to camo a board and leave off everything the best camo would be not to have it at all...
              Excellent point Perry. My only thought would be that the Luftwaffe felt they were necessary to retain equipment straps on the field division jackets.

Willi, I'm green! Have never had one of these, very, very rare. Congratulations!
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Here is a photo of the camo boards in wear by a field division. These straps appear to be much narrower than the one that Willi shows. Of course, we cannot tell, though. Interesting things are found all throughout this photo, too. Although not as clearly visible as I would like, the first fellow is wearing a Heer helmet. Also notice the various means of camouflage (or lack thereof) used on all the helmets. No pattern among them. The camo shoulderboards would suggest this is an early field division photo. But, the Heer helmet would tend to make me think that it is late 43, maybe even 44. No way to tell for sure, but I think this might be 20.Feld Division (Lw).

Comment

Could this very reason be why they are so rare? They felt it was a waste to bother?

Comment

Hello Perry and John.

Maybe anything is possible,

Yes, they would have used the shoulder boards to retain equipment,
                    Also one other point that I wanted to bring up is, since this is a camo jacket usually thrown over your fliegerbluse lets say, maybe to save time producing another (extra) pair of regular shoulder baords since you would have a pair underneath also

Thanks Michael

Comment

Hello everyone,

Willi, since I am a new collector and every piece that interests me I would like to have a better look. Can you please post some photos of your shoulder board laying flat out front and back if possible. It is to my understanding that these most likely were made using a longer piece of HBT Material instead of your classic shoulder board design, as found on this one.

Thanks Michael

Comment

Shoulder strap length merely reflects the size of the wearer; just as with all other aspects of uniforms; sleeve length, collar size. etc.. A six foot soldier with broad shoulders will have longer straps than a five five soldier with narrower shoulders.

These are straps. Officers wear boards.
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

The strap that I just got is for a very, very small jacket. Therefore, it looks wider than others. It is really no wider than longer ones, the photo just makes them appear so.

Willi
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin
                            Shoulder strap length merely reflects the size of the wearer; just as with all other aspects of uniforms; sleeve length, collar size. etc.. A six foot soldier with broad shoulders will have longer straps than a five five soldier with narrower shoulders.

These are straps. Officers wear boards.
                            John, I can honestly say that I've never heard anything like that in my life. I have always been under the impression that the shoulderstrap and shoulderboard were a more or less standardized item. Otherwise, straps and boards would have to be literally size marked to know which strap/board to put on which size uniform. A true nightmare should a unit change waffenfarbe. I have seen minor variation in size. But not to the extent that I would say "Oh this board is for a tall, broad soldaten".

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Melvin
                              John, I can honestly say that I've never heard anything like that in my life. I have always been under the impression that the shoulderstrap and shoulderboard were a more or less standardized item. Otherwise, straps and boards would have to be literally size marked to know which strap/board to put on which size uniform. A true nightmare should a unit change waffenfarbe. I have seen minor variation in size. But not to the extent that I would say "Oh this board is for a tall, broad soldaten".
                              They don't come in endless sizes Jack! Never said they did, but are probably sized S-M-L just as socks and gloves. Anyone who has collected lots of straps or tunics has to realize this.....

The point is, short vs long is no way to determine authenticity of shoulder straps!
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X