Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on AFRIKA cuff title /armband

Hi,
    armbands and stuff are not my collecting field,so I'm asking your opinion on this one!
    Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Well I need a back shot but im not fond of the front. The palms are not very even as they usually are, the material doesn't seem like the norm either. Not that its a killer in its own right, but I really don't like what im seeing thus far. Matt

Comment

Hi Matt,
          first off thanks a bunch for your reply!I can't take a shot of its back because it's sewn on a tunic which is not in my possession and now I'll tell you and the others why I need info on this CT;in the early 90s a collector managed and obtain a beautiful GJ M35 tunic in near-mint condition.It was a beautiful example I’ve been after since then,even because it came with an AFRIKA CT which belonged to its former owner who obviously fought in Africa as a GJ or before being transferred to a GJ Division,in this case most likely the 5th Gebirgs Division,given the fact that this tunic has been found in Italy many,many years ago.Last week I knew from the person who had sold the tunic to its last and current owner that it would have been put for sale,so I immediately asked the current owner for detailed pictures of it. I quite frankly didn’t know then whether the CT was originally sewn to it or just pinned,since I merely had the chance to see some "global" pictures at a friend’s home many years ago and never had the chance to see it in the flesh.As I opened the file I have received today I ‘ve been amazed to see this CT which differs somewhat from the few I’ve owned (and long sold) and which I knew where 100% textbook,but what has later on caught my attention has been what you see in the picture I’m attaching and that the owner of the tunic has sent me a few minutes ago after I’ve asked for clearer pictures of the CT!If this CT ain't good then it looks like somebody who has owned this tunic in the past has messed with both the tunic and the CT…at first he must have taken it off to be sold separately or because he thought it wasn't good () and then sewn on this one,which obviously was a bit too short.....lenghtening it CT !
          The tunic is still a killer but looks like it's been messed up in the past 20 years as far as the CT is concerned!I've asked the current owner and the guy who has sold the tunic to the former to let me know about the whereabouts of this tunic since I first saw it but couldn't get a clue !
          Thanks for looking and helping me out!
          Cheers
          Chris
          Attached Files
          Last edited by cqb45; 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I like it even less after these pics. First ask yourself why there is a different piece of original cuff covering the ends of the bad one that is sewn on. Second look at the tunic, all around the cuff its been nibbled on and yet the cuff is perfectly ok? I don't like it and it isn't one for my collection. Matt

Comment

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
              I like it even less after these pics. First ask yourself why there is a different piece of original cuff covering the ends of the bad one that is sewn on. Second look at the tunic, all around the cuff its been nibbled on and yet the cuff is perfectly ok? I don't like it and it isn't one for my collection. Matt
              That's what puzzles me....I think that this tunic had a perfectly legit CT sewn on and then some a@@#£& must have messed with it...or it could even be that one of the owners took the original cuff off to be sold separately,replacing it with the current one in the process before selling the tunic and when he has realized that the "new" CT would have been too short he has made it a little longer with a piece of original cuff,which at this point I suppose it's been cut off the CT that came with the tunic !Some people should take on stamp collecting and leave untouched pieces of WW2 German Miltaria alone!
              Chris
              Last edited by cqb45; 11-02-2009, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Agree with Matt. Looks like it could have been a replacement Ct. The letters are not flanged enough for me, also that added piece looks sloppy.

Comment

Glad to see you weigh in on this one Tim. It just doesn't look right, its a damn shame as well, would have been a nice tunic. Also the cuff doesn't appear to sit down into the fabric like you would expect after 60 plus years. JMHO. Matt

Comment

Hi Tim and Matt,
                    thanks for your replies!The letters being not flared enough have been what did made me suspicious about the CT in the first place,but since they're not quite my collecting field I had to ask opinions from more informed fellow members.The weave that shows near the palm tree on the right hand side is a bit different from the weave visible on the genuine CTs posted on the WAF forums but since there are so many variations I just couldn't have a clue!When I saw the third photo the differences in height,russian braid and backing camelcloth became more clear;it goes to show that there are @$$#&[è$ who should stay away from the hobby!I just cannot believe that a person could be so greedy (and foolish) as to strip an original CT off of a beautiful tunic to sell it separately for a few hundred € (or a few more thou. Liras,depending on when he COMMITTED THE CRIME) damaging a piece of history in the process!
                    I just hope the CT wasn't sewn on when the tunic changed hands for the first time but even in this case the fore-mentioned @$$#&[è has lenghtened it with a piece of original CT most likely off the CT that came with the tunic,thus making some sort of damage in a way or another!
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    Last edited by cqb45; 11-03-2009, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X