No announcement yet.

Machine Stitched numbers on Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubted it at first but now think it may be period. Today was the first day I had it here. In Angolia it reports they stopped the chain stitching during the War and start using flat stitching with "plain yarn". The top thread is a wine red and not a perfect match. If you look at the thread surface in #12 you can see surface wear.

Comment

With your new photos it is easy to see that it is colored thread on top. What I thought was bleed over appears to be another color of thread from the old embroidery. I assume there is a pair since you mentioned restoration, should be interesting.

Richard

Comment

Hello Johnny,
        It all looks completely original and period done to me. I would have no problems with this at all. Lovely and rare.
        Thank you for sharing,
        Curtiss

Comment

John, i'm eager to see this waffenrock!

Ive only seen a few nebel ones before.

One branch i'd love to own.

Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by LDR View Post
            John, i'm eager to see this waffenrock!

Ive only seen a few nebel ones before.

One branch i'd love to own.

Lewis
            Hello Lewis, I will restore it first. It was stripped and there are tears etc. The liner was surgically removed which is actually very difficult to do and it sort of amazes me but I think they may have wanted the silk like material after the War.

Comment

Originally posted by nonameno View Post
              Hello Johnny,
              It all looks completely original and period done to me. I would have no problems with this at all. Lovely and rare.
              Thank you for sharing,
              Curtiss
              Thanks Curtiss, I respect everyone's opinion but with the unpublished link with the units and the wear on the thread I also think it was period done. I do not like to use speculations to explain things but hypothetically if someone was going to restore it post War why not just sew back and cover the very clear "1" below" the "4"s etc.
              Last edited by Johnny R; 10-27-2009, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Alot of period waffenrock also show 'strange' things going on, so i wouldnt dismiss anything.

Make sure you take some before pics to!

Lewis

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X