Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98th GUR Sumer Tunic?

Hi All,

I recently got this White summer 98th Gebirgsjager Regiment tunic in a grouping. My question is can I have it dry cleaned or professionally cleaned safely. It is quite dingy.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Rannow
    Mpls, MN

Please keep this tunic as is. Looks nice dingy!!!

Comment

Bill, if you want to have it cleaned and the fabric is not dry rotted etc. I would take all the buttons off, the boards and then take it to a reputable dry cleaner that knows what he is doing that uses Greenearth cleaning solutions:

http://www.greenearthcleaning.com/storeLocator.aspx

Aside from the cleaning they can use a "brightener" to bring it closer to where it was.

Comment

I received a very nice summer tunic only a fortnight ago via e-stand. The appearance was pretty good but some stains around the pockets led me to give it a soak and wash using a good-quality washing powder.

Bottom line is it now looks very smart and appropriate for a smartly dressed officer.

I understand it'll now glow under a black light, but I don't own one so it doesn't worry me. It's still the same jacket, just cleaner.

Bill, if you send your e-mail by PM I'll send you a photo of what to expect.

Regards, Mike

Comment

Greetings All,

I believe the commercial cleaning soap powder"Biz" can do the cleaning without the phosphorus. Remove the insignia, thouroughly wet the jacket and place in a large container(5 gallon bucket) with the appropriate mixture of Biz and let it do the work for a couple of days. No phosphorus, no glow.

I believe there is a "deer Hunters" soap that removes phosphorus from clothing also. Re-wash the tunic that glows in that and the glow will disappear.

Fred Green

Comment

Thank you guys! I will weigh the options carefully.

Comment

Dry cleaning it is much easier and they will get all the cleaning chemicals out as well.

Hand washing to me is only done when the tunic will not survive the dry cleaning undamaged. The white fabric is usually pretty srong and comes out fine.

If you do it by hand always support it when you are handling it wet. I usually lay tunics flat on a towel and apply pressure to get all the water out. Hanging them up with the added weight of the water especially with wool tunics can tear seams etc. Let us know the method and results.

Comment

I will be considered an apostate I am sure, but I have washed the white tunics in a mild Woolite mix with warm (not hot) water and have had great results, and the Woolite does not impart a glow, in my experience.

Don

Comment

Woolite eh?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'd use Woolite myself, that would be be first choise if I was doing it myself at home.
                    If you take it to a dry cleaner make sure it's someone you know really well and has NO PROBLEM with cleaning a German Uniform.. I made that mistake many years ago and they ruined it, well one of his workers did..

I'm lucky now since I live near a Military Base and I take any of my tunics and pants to them weather WW2 or Post War and they do and excellent job.

Joe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X