griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much extra should a photo ID'D tunic cost me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much extra should a photo ID'D tunic cost me?

I realize that most would answer "how ever much you are willing to pay" but is there any set % extra that one would generally run? Suppose a $2000 M36 tunic exists with a period photo of it in wear....would the seller sell it for twice as much as a general rule. The reason I am asking is because I am looking for just such ID'D German combat tunics but the only ones I ever see for sale are already marked "sold". I know there is no magic number and alot of members hate talking about prices but a ballpark range from guys with alot of tunic buying experience would be appreciated

Well if it were me and say a normal $2000 tunic was ID'd in a photo and was solid I would probably pay an extra $1000. Thats in general and just me though.

Comment

I think it really depends on what it is and if the photo is a clear match and real. The old statement" Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay" is true.

Comment

I appreciate the replies. I kind of agree with the 50% extra that Erik quoted as being fair. The only other one I have seen recently was that black panzer wrap that I guess would normally go for about $5500 and was sold very quickly at $11,000 on estand so about 2x normal price. Just trying to get my bearings straight on something rare to find but all the more historical IMO.

Comment

I do not think you cannot set arbitrary values like that with a set percentage of what it "should" cost. Each scenario is different. Twice the value on a wrap for a photo to me for something that costs that much would not be of interest to me, but if someone bought it, then that is its "current value".

Comment

It's interesting to see the differing opinions here.

I would not pay anything extra for a "photo ID'd tunic". Having a period photo of the tunic in wear would be interesting, but it doesn't increase the value in my eyes at all. The only increase in the value of the 'grouping' would be the value of the period photograph.

A tunic is either a period piece or it is not.
            AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

photo ID

It may be just me, but I'm not so sure I'd pay a lot more for it. Unless the tunic has something thats so special about it you have no doubts it''s the exact same one. A standard uniform with nothing special about it...no way. Too many look just alike. Alex

Comment

The price of militaria works pretty much as the stock market. What the buyer is willing to pay, thats the value of the item. You said it yourself -How much would you pay for a period pic?

Comment

Depending on the jacket and what the photo documents I would say nothing to a lot... But if all that it documents is that it was worn by some German soldier I would pay zip extra, as they all were.

Comment

The big trend these days it seems (and I am sure it has been going on since this stuff became collectible) is to take a period photograph of a jacket (or hat) in wear and match another jacket up with it, that looks like the one in the photo..Even going as far as adding award loops,sleeve badges,collar tabs etc to match the photo... A few have been "outed" trying to attempt this and I have seen it done on several occasions.

Moral of the story....Be careful and don't pay extra, as you just never know.

Glenn
                    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

You should be more careful with making such threads. Threads like this can bring people / dealers on ideas. If people say thay would pay a $1000 or double more just because it is in wear on a photograph they would try to find a photograph to match with the tunic. As said always watch out with such threads..

Comment

I predict a wave of these becoming available right away.

Like Souvenier authorization papers-I won't pay for them.

Just my own take.
                        Last edited by MikeP; 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM. Reason: sp
                        MLP

Comment

Originally posted by B. Verstraeten View Post
                          You should be more careful with making such threads. Threads like this can bring people / dealers on ideas. If people say thay would pay a $1000 or double more just because it is in wear on a photograph they would try to find a photograph to match with the tunic. As said always watch out with such threads..
                          I understand your point and this is my first "how much" thread because I realize the sensitivity in regards to price discussions. I was curious as the subject hasn't been touched upon to my knowledge. Dealers and fakers I am sure use many threads to their advantage, whether it be why is this fake threads or the wanted section & estand prices. Glenn brings up a good point about the modeling of tunics after a real period photo. Pretty easy to do I suspect if the photo is a generic looking tunic.

Comment

I do not think there was ever a thread like this because it is like asking "how much does a car cost?". It is situational. Interesting to see what others thought but I do not think there is an answer.

Comment

Unless it was ID'd to the wearer in the photo and it was someone who was highly decorated (RK, DK, etc) or famous I don't see how a 50% markup is validated. That's just my opinion, but as has been said, with the quality of photography from the 1930's and 1940's, unless you have a dead solid lock on provenance it is relatively easy to find tunics that "look" like ones in period photos. Especially that Hitler brown shirt in my closet...

Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X