KM brown/tropical jacket opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM brown/tropical jacket opinions

I just obtained a fairly large group of effects from a German sailor who served in kreuzers (cruisers) during WWII and through around 1947. Many KM ships were kept in usable condition awaiting for final disposition instructions from the Allies.

In the effects, besides the normal white tunic and blue trousers and many other articles, was this jacket. Reading through the threads, it seems like this is probably the "brown" tunic worn with blue trousers by a petty officer according to previous threads and Angolia. This sailor was a matrosen-obergefreiter.

It appears to me this is either a brown or tropical tunic that has had the collar replaced and cuffs replaced in the same material at some point, possibly after the war ended. There is no indication of a cloth or metal eagle ever being on the tunic nor are there any stamps of any type.

No belt loops either.

The buttons are as shown.

To me, this was a professionally repaired jacket, but while still assigned to his warship. I do not think it started out with these different materials on the collar and cuffs. Very well done in any case.

I am confident this jacket was worn by this sailor as late as 1947 and perhaps well before and therefore the repairs to the worn areas and replaced buttons?

Like to get other opinions on what this is (brown or tropical) and if anybody has ever seen anything like it before.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John R.; 10-09-2009, 06:44 PM.

Attached Files
    Last edited by John R.; 10-09-2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Appears to be a nice salty war time KM "brown uniform" with typical KM style angled pocket corners and fake french cuffs.
          It obviously did continue to see "service" in the post war years (pow and /or civilian use) hence the collar replacement and cuff repairs,
          which is a shame, but now part of the history of this piece, surviving after all those years of heavy use.
          The flaws do give it character and it would still display well with proper KM anchor buttons, rank insignia and a metal breast eagle.
          Does it have ventilation holes under the armpits? Probably not... That would be typical for tropical KM uniforms,
          but based on the heavier cotton material used, in my view its a "KM brown" uniform (shore duty/barracks/office duty dress),
          as opposed to true tropical tunic in lighter material and with ventilation holes. Congratulations. Nick
          Last edited by NickG; 10-09-2009, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X