Heer Artillery Oberst M41 Upgraded Field Blouse,German Cross winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
    500? Think that's somewhat on the high side, that would be almost half the total number of Obersts there were in the entire Heer in mid '44. I'f you've ever got an evening to kill you could always draw up a short list. Enter Oberst and Artillerie as search terms and you'll turn up a few hundred but that will include ranks that include the word oberst. more fun than painting the house perhaps..

http://www.ww2awards.com/
    Read my disclaimer Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn McInnes View Post
      Will see what I can do as I would like to find out myself..I was told 500 or so Artillery Oberst's won the German Cross.I would say probably captured by US forces considering the field wear.

Glenn
      Glenn picked up this tunic from me and everyone's correct, it's a really nice tunic, and it would be great to find out more about it. The problem is, this was picked up by a picker of mine who is an opportunist. He puts ad's in the newspaper and gets into peoples houses and buys everything he can from them, as cheaply as he can, never to return. I don't particularly care for him but he finds good militaria from time to time and sometimes I get a crack at what he finds, such as with this tunic, so, unfortunately, we won't learn anymore about where it may have come from etc.

Comment

Great field uniform, near picture perfect I'd say and they don't get much harder to find except general's field tunics. Congratulations and hope you find some more clues, I've know many a character just like vonStubben describes.

Richard

Comment

Hope that you like it.

Glenn
          I like it very much Glenn like all the uniforms you have in your collection and you are going to show us.
          Thanks a lot.
          Luca
          Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Thanks Charles,

And I also know some of these character types as well.

The boards on this jacket had 1 pip (oberstleutnant) inserted through the center at one point (hard to see even in hand)) and when he was promoted a new pip was added and the pips moved.

So he could have won the DKiG at the rank of Oberstleutnant as well.

Glenn
            Attached Files
            "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

very nice looking jacket Glenn
              Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
              teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Thanks Charles,

And I also know some of these character types as well.

The boards on this jacket had 1 pip (oberstleutnant) inserted through the center at one point (hard to see even in hand)) and when he was promoted a new pip was added and the pips moved.

So he could have won the DKiG at the rank of Oberstleutnant as well.

Glenn

Or indeed Major if it was an early award.

What a crying shame the original buyer didn't take the simple step of noting the name of the person\family he bought it from. Even that would have allowed a fighting chance to find the vets unit and from that, eventually, likely candidates.
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Beautiful find.

Love the application of the eagle too.

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben View Post
                    Glenn picked up this tunic from me and everyone's correct, it's a really nice tunic, and it would be great to find out more about it. The problem is, this was picked up by a picker of mine who is an opportunist. He puts ad's in the newspaper and gets into peoples houses and buys everything he can from them, as cheaply as he can, never to return. I don't particularly care for him but he finds good militaria from time to time and sometimes I get a crack at what he finds, such as with this tunic, so, unfortunately, we won't learn anymore about where it may have come from etc.
                    I know the type and deal with them too, they just never "get it" the thrill for them is making as much money as possible. They usually care nothing about what the item is or the History.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Orchard View Post
                      Or indeed Major if it was an early award.

What a crying shame the original buyer didn't take the simple step of noting the name of the person\family he bought it from. Even that would have allowed a fighting chance to find the vets unit and from that, eventually, likely candidates.
                      Hence the 500 individiuals, it is sad.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X