strange tunic breast pocket design...please explain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange tunic breast pocket design...please explain

mr bill petz's recent pic of the man's tunic on another thread, shown here for research, has mighty unusual breast pocket configurations imo.

i have seen the same 'huge' breast pockets on luft fliegerblouses, in early war pictures. notice the bellows-sided detail, more akin to hip pockets. these pockets are HUGE, and slanted somewhat like us para jackets.

can anyone explain what pattern jacket this is or whether it is a prototype or conversion of a regular german tunic/foreign army tunic? i think it may be a very early war, maybe pre war trial variant.

thanks in advance, especially to mr bill petz.

note eagle roundel overlaps pocket flap too.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by corporalSteiner; 09-02-2009, 02:04 AM.

Hi,

Nice pic! This is IMHO a foreign captured tunic, most probably Czech. They have these big breast pockets (in different patterns). Certainly not some kind of pre-war, issue wehrmacht tunic.

Regards,
    Brecht

Comment

Looks czech to me aswell..

This thread might be helpfull
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=304621

All the best
      Jens

Comment

I believe Brecht is correct - pre-war Czech tunic.

Don

Comment

thanks to all for generous contributions in comment and thread reference. from the thread it seems czec tunics were more likely to have to be re-dyed, while the austrian tunics recycled were not redyed. having seen the hip pockets on these 'czec' tunics, i can see how like flieger blouses they are, and the flieger blouses i thought i had seen with added breast pockets might well now have been czec tunics given to luft personnel. that is, if they were czec. again i am intrigued that such a lot of effort in redying sounds like it was necessary for these conversions. while i cant see re dying be a problem, some thread contributors in the thread quoted above seemed to think so.
          while i prefer the 'normal' german made tunics, these 'czec' variants are interesting. i wonder whether the troopers issued with such items felt disappointed to not be given the correct german-made field blouse.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X