Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with Luft NCO tunic

Dear Friends,

I just acquired a nice Luft NCO of flight service dress tunic. The tunic has a set of loops on the right pocket below the eagle for either a Spanish Cross or DKiG, but it is the left pocket which puzzles me. My question pertains to the two set of loops in the middle of the pocket. One set is the usual vertical configuration, the other is a set with horizontal configuration. Again, these are the loops in the middle, the two set of loops on either side of the left pocket are normal. What could this NCO of flight possibly have worn on the 2 sets of loops in the middle of the left pocket??? All of your valued opinion is very much appreciated.

Many Thanks in Advance!
    Dave.
    Attached Files

A larger view of the chest area of the tunic
    Attached Files

Comment

My guess would be a Glider Badge of some sort.

Don

Comment

Thanks Don, what sort of a glider badge? Does any one else have any idea?

Many Thanks,
        David.

Comment

Any more ideas about the loops ????

Comment

Long shot, but I have a pic of 2 HG men.
            One is in the black tanker wrapper and the other is wearing a LW tropical tunic.
            On the tropical tunic he has a mine sweeper badge with his LW badges.
            Obviously he was in the navy first.
            Just a thought/observation.
            I would have to dig out the pic to show you.

Comment

Loops set like that in verticle form are usually for a Gold Party Badge...but it should be upermost of any awards.

The other odd thing is that if an award is put in the top horizontal loops of your tunic it would probably cover these vertical loops!

Comment

For whatever it's worth, here are my thoughts about the loops.

First, I believe the loops on the wearer's right side pocket are for a Spanish Cross and not a German Cross. The loops are close together and appear to be fairly thin. Perfect for a lighter weight badge (such as the L/11 Spanish Cross), but maybe not so good for a German Cross.

On the wearer's left hand side, the sets of loops are fairly close together. (This is not unusual as there are many photos of Luftwaffe personnel wearing badges in tight cluster arrangement.) The top middle set of two loops, which are extremely close together, MIGHT work for an EK1, but I would be surprised if that is what went there. Although this may sound very strange, I would GUESS that an HJ Honor badge (diamond) or something similar went there. The horizontal set below that (as already suggested) could well be for an enamelled glider proficiency badge with gulls. The left and right lower sets could be, literally, for most anything, including sports badges, a wound badge, or an aircrew qualification badge (not pilot) of some sort.

Again, all this is a guess, but I think, based on the tailoring of the tunic itself, and the shape of the eagle's tail, that this is a very nice pre-war tunic to someone who served in Spain and who had not, as yet, had the opportunity to accumulate combat awards from the period 1939-1945.

Is there any sort of tailor tag or nametag in the tunic? That might help a bit.
                Last edited by Leroy; 08-15-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks Leroy! Does anyone else have any ideas regarding the loops?

Thanks,
                  Dave.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X