No announcement yet.

Gebirgsjäger officer tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, I know I wasn't up on uniforms at the time, but I'm surprised that Bill Shea didn't mention any of this to me when he sold it to me...other than the collar material being replaced...you'll notice that it is black, but was period done.

Cheers,

James

Comment

Originally posted by JAMES.M View Post
      Hmmm, I know I wasn't up on uniforms at the time, but I'm surprised that Bill Shea didn't mention any of this to me when he sold it to me...other than the collar material being replaced...you'll notice that it is black, but was period done.

Cheers,

James
      It's not because it comes from Bill Shea that's therefore correct James
      A hands on inspection is always needed. One shouldn't believe sellers so blindly. Everyone can make a mistake, on purpose or not, even a seller!

Jan

Comment

The collar color is very dark green, It gets even darker as it becomes dirty etc. I have some like this and they do look black. It looks like it was torn and repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by GD/LW View Post
          It's not because it comes from Bill Shea that's therefore correct James
          A hands on inspection is always needed. One shouldn't believe sellers so blindly. Everyone can make a mistake, on purpose or not, even a seller!

Jan
          Hi Jan,
          <O
          I agree with you completely. But please remember that although we have all the resources and books at our fingertips today, this has not always been the case. When one lives far removed from the collecting circle, they at times have to depend on, to a degree, the knowledge of others. In this case, I depended on Bill, rightly or wrongly. Did I know about all the application techniques for insignia on uniforms…nope! Was the info there at the time, possibly, but one has to be hooked up to that medium to be able to tap into that information. Did I run out and buy all the books that might show this, yes I did, but they didn’t come on to the market until after I had the tunic. So, had I the info then, what is available now, I likely would not have picked this up, maybe. I haven’t looked at this tunic for years as it, as well as the rest of my collection, is stored away and have not been revisited for years in some cases. I no longer collect German items and have really no interest in it. However, that is why I had no problem with having the tunic posted here for discussion. I would rather have the perspective buyer have no doubts about the item, as I would not have wanted when I purchased it. Thank you all for your comments. I will be sure to include them if anyone else is ever interested in the item.
          <O
          Cheers,
          <O
          James
          Last edited by JAMES.M; 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Hi Jan,
            <O
            I agree with you completely. But please remember that although we have all the resources and books at our fingertips today, this has not always been the case. When one lives far removed from the collecting circle, they at times have to depend on, to a degree, the knowledge of others. In this case, I depended on Bill, rightly or wrongly. Did I know about all the application techniques for insignia on uniforms…nope! Was the info there at the time, possibly, but one has to be hooked up to that medium to be able to tap into that information. Did I run out and buy all the books that might show this, yes I did, but they didn’t come on to the market until after I had the tunic. So, had I the info then, what is available now, I likely would not have picked this up, maybe. I haven’t looked at this tunic for years as it, as well as the rest of my collection, is stored away and have not been revisited for years in some cases. I no longer collect German items and have really no interest in it. However, that is why I had no problem with having the tunic posted here for discussion. I would rather have the perspective buyer have no doubts about the item, as I would not have wanted when I purchased it. Thank you all for your comments. I will be sure to include them if anyone else is ever interested in the item.
            <O
            Cheers,
            <O
            James
            That's also true James. But you know, all this can't be find in books allthough good books arrived on today's market. One still needs the experience and that you only learn by the years.

Jan

Comment

That's also true James. But you know, all this can't be find in books allthough good books arrived on today's market. One still needs the experience and that you only learn by the years.

Jan
              Again, I agree with you, Jan. The area in which I collect today is much the same. Although there are photos in books about the items, unless you've had lots of hands on, on the items, you will not know or see the minute details need to tell you if the item is original. The key is being able to see the stuff in the flesh.

Cheers,
              James

Comment

Again, I agree with you, Jan. The area in which I collect today is much the same. Although there are photos in books about the items, unless you've had lots of hands on, on the items, you will not know or see the minute details need to tell you if the item is original. The key is being able to see the stuff in the flesh.

Cheers,
                James
                If you don't collect German anymore what do you collect than James ?

Jan

Comment

If you don't collect German anymore what do you collect than James ?

Jan
                  I now collect Rhodesian Selous Scouts items.

Cheers,

James

Comment

That's a collection like any other!

Jan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X