No announcement yet.

HBT Wrappers Center Seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unissued 2d model HBT. Unfortunately its too hard to get off the mannequin so I tried to take a picture of the sleevage near the collar. Not perfect but hopefully it helps. The center seam is consistent with the other originals you've shown on this thread. Regards Jim
    Attached Files

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for the great contribution, that last photo is clear enough to show that it does have the selvedge used in the center seams. Fine examples of some rare jackets. Have you seen any up to this point that you consider original that do not have the center seam done this way?

I've shown the only fake I can find so far that does it, but its so far off in so many other ways that there is no chance of anyone thinking it's real.

Richard

Comment

Here is a photo I've borrowed from another thread on an SS dot camo jacket. The consensus is that it is an original and I just happened to notice that they also use the selvedge pieces in their center seam, at least for that manufacturer.

Richard
        Attached Files

Comment

Richard,

The few original HBT or Denim wraps I've handled have all had the center seam constructed like those shown on this thread.

The construction of the center seam on the fake also differs from originals in several ways. It doesn't have a tapered effect and has too much excess material. Jim

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
          Jim,

Thanks for the great contribution, that last photo is clear enough to show that it does have the selvedge used in the center seams. Fine examples of some rare jackets. Have you seen any up to this point that you consider original that do not have the center seam done this way?

I've shown the only fake I can find so far that does it, but its so far off in so many other ways that there is no chance of anyone thinking it's real.

Richard

Comment

Here is a photo I borrowed from one of Glenn's posts showing his HBT wrap and you can just see the selvedge used in the center seam if you look close.
            Attached Files

Comment

Jim,

Thanks again and if you happen to see any fakes and you have your camera please snap some photos. I have observed a few recently which reside in collections that were rather obvious, but I was not asked my opinion, so I didn't offer it.

This is the type of seam I see most often in fakes, and they are usually accompanied by the zig-zag stitching under the collar.

Richard
              Attached Files

Comment

Richard,

I went over numerous threads on HBT/denim wraps and looked over the ones I didn't like. In every case they had zig zag stitched collars and when shown the center seam was not done like the originals you've posted here. Another area I key in on is: how and where its stamped. Jim

Jim,

Thanks again and if you happen to see any fakes and you have your camera please snap some photos. I have observed a few recently which reside in collections that were rather obvious, but I was not asked my opinion, so I didn't offer it.

This is the type of seam I see most often in fakes, and they are usually accompanied by the zig-zag stitching under the collar.

Richard

Comment

Here is another center seam with the selvedge clearly used for the joining. It is currently for sale/trade on the E-stand and it has all the characteristics I would like to see in an original. I'm adding this one to the others photographed here.

Richard
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is a photo I've borrowed from another thread on an SS dot camo jacket. The consensus is that it is an original and I just happened to notice that they also use the selvedge pieces in their center seam, at least for that manufacturer.

Richard
                    Just looked at my SS Dot tunic and the center seam uses selvedge pieces also.

Comment

Here is the selvedge center seam in the 1st pattern mouse gray wrapper recently acquired by vet44, seen with different lighting.

The third photo is the selvedge center seam in a 2nd pattern mouse gray wrap of mine. Very different styles of selvedge, folded over and sewn in different directions, but still consistently found in 2 more period wrapper examples.

Richard
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Yet another HBT wrap with selvedge at center seam. Also, no zig zag under collar. I've handled quite a few HBT wrap sets and these features are consistent....
                          Attached Files

Comment

I whole heartedly agree with you. Jim

Originally posted by Mike Davis View Post
                            Yet another HBT wrap with selvedge at center seam. Also, no zig zag under collar. I've handled quite a few HBT wrap sets and these features are consistent....

Comment

Great thread here Richard! I missed it first time around but I ran for the closet to inspect my four pocket Luft HBT and found the same selvedge...
                              A very good place to start an inspection of a possible HBT purchasae in the future, I appreciate you having shared these observations with us here!
                              Best Regards!
                              Kevin

Comment

Here is another known original HBT wrapper owned by Panzer Bob. It is now currently for sale on the E-stand, very fairly priced I might add.

Here are 3 clear shots showing the use of the selvedge in this particular wrap.

Richard
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X