Helferin Summer Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helferin Summer Tunic

A friend of mine bought this several years ago at a reenactment. The tunic is a large size, blue HBT. Insignia appear to be original to the tunic. But, nobody can identify it. Has anyone ever seen a female HBT tunic such as this?
    Attached Files

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

Collar where there appears to have been tabs sewn at one time.
      Attached Files

Comment

Chevron.
        Attached Files

Comment

Breasteagle.
          Attached Files

Comment

Helferinnen did not use rank chevrons like that... nor collar tabs...
            so it might be a good tunic but with added insignia .
            The eagle could be original to it...but if its sewn on with the same thread as the rank chevron, its probably also added... which makes you wonder if the tunic is even real...
            The other puzzling thing is that LW helferinnen did not wear shoulderstraps either and this tunic (which is clearly a female design) does have provisions for (male) shoulderstraps... maybe its some kind of humped up West German DRK uniform? but it looks good in blue HBT, even though it has the questionable (male) insignia...

Here examples of proper female insignia
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 08-01-2009, 12:58 AM.

Comment

You can find female troops in male uniforms (as shown in this image)
              but these are not official practices... either borrowed or worn because of supply shortages...
              or "make do" while retreating....(chaotic times in 44-45)
              The helferin in the middle has the proper (office) pattern uniform with female rank insignia.
              In the field (search light batteries etc...) female helferinnen would be issued female cut fliegerblouse or
              M44 type female pattern field uniforms, but again with typical female pattern insignia, no collar insignia
              and no shoulderstraps...unlike the uniform that started this thread, but it does look like a female fatigue (field) uniform of some sort...
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 08-01-2009, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Nick. The tunic is marked LBA44 inside. So, if original, it is fairly late. Certainly a piece that I've never seen before.

Comment

Nick, IMO the two wearing Mens uniforms is the result of wanting to be treated as POWs and not DPs and I suspect as more suitable clothing for going into captivity. Those specific uniforms were worn at time of capture but not in service.

I have never seen this type of HBT (color) in a period uniform. Can you post an image ofthe stamp.

Comment

True they are POW's. Who knows what the explanation is for the mix! Probably all they had during captivity or borrowed just to stay warm.

The LBA 44 ink stamp makes the piece believable. It looks like its in pretty good shape. I have a hunch its an unissued piece and somebody added post war male insignia... Do the shoulderboard loops and buttons look like period fixtures? Because that does not make sense with female LW dress regulations... Odd but an intriguing piece. T

The Luftwaffe Bekleidungs Amt (LBA)stamp with date does make it a believable period garment! We just need to hunt for a period picture of such a uniform in wear!

Comment

There is a press caption for the photo that explains something like I described. I cannot remember, they were not their service tunics in anycase.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X