Wachtmeister Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wachtmeister Tunic

As you all know my Opa was a Wachtmeister (later Oberwachtmeister) in the war. I have many photos of him but have longed to get a uniform like the one he wore during the war. I finally got CLOSE! It has the flaktaetigkeitsabzeichen on the sleeve, loops for a single badge, and loops for a ribbon bar - though the ribon bar loops are MUCH wider than the small Sudetenmedallie that Opa wore! Gonna have to figure out how large a bar I will need for that spot. The boards are also marked 43 as the tunic was for a man from 2/Flakregiment 43. All opinions appreciated and all info on the unit also appreciated! Here is what I have thus far: http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flak/flargt43.html

My Opa in March 1943

Comment

Congrats, nice tunic! I would say similar but not "close". Look breast pockets are different. Lower pockets are different too - "baggy", not flat as on the picture, etc. BTW "neat" eagle application wondering who did this

Comment

Thanks - been tough to fond one even this close to what he wore! I am not a uniform expert so I am looking for opinions. Do you have an issue with the eagle?
        Thanks!
        Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Flak88 View Post
          Thanks - been tough to fond one even this close to what he wore! I am not a uniform expert so I am looking for opinions. Do you have an issue with the eagle?
          Thanks!
          Marc
          Usually, insignia was applied very neatly, even by hand

Comment

Marc,
            Your Grandfather is wearing a very nice private purchase tunic and trousers set. These are not made of the thick wool used in issue pieces, but rather (usually) gabardine or some other smoother textured cloth.
            Best,
            Leroy

Comment

Thanks Leroy,
              Yeah, I know, but it's gonn be tough to find a match. But is the eagle period-applied is the question du jour!
              Marc

Comment

Thanks Leroy,
                Yeah, I know, but it's gonn be tough to find a match. But is the eagle period-applied is the question du jour!
                Marc
                That is something we will never know. All eagles I have ever seen on Tuchrocks were hand applied. Most are done with a bit better workmanship, but I have seen worse on period items.

It is what it is... a very nice flak NCO tunic! I can see why you were so excited about it!

Comment

Thanks Leroy,
                  Marc
                  Marc,

In all honesty I have my doubts about the eagle being period applied. If you look at the many examples offered to us today on period pieces, it is rather crude. The TR had very strict standards, even when cloth was hand-applied.

Comment

Here's a nice one, Marc: https://www.weitze.net/detail/88/Luf...8__119488.html

I have my doubts about the eagle being original to the one you first posted, but there is truly almost no way to know for sure.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys - always good to learn a lesson!

Comment

Wow!!! they hacked ImageShack with all the images hosted there WW!

Comment

Well it looks like they fixed it but just a minute ago (for at least one hour!) instead of ALL images hosted on ImageShack this image (below) was displayed on all websites:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X