No announcement yet.

Nice early weimar army uniform 500.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Johnny, for the info on the markings. Even though I collected uniforms years ago, I never learned the exact translation of the markings.
    Given the cloth of the collar and cuffs seem to match the rest of the tunic, I'll bet it is a factory conversion. Nice score. BTW, when you get it, I'd love to know if the collar litzen is actually longer than the standard ones for that period.

Also notice, as to the conversion, that on the back flaps the alteration removed the scallops typical of the parade tunics.

Steve
    ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Thanks Steve,

No one really knew what the correct measurements (or at least not many people) until the reference books started coming out. I think Angolia/Schlicht did it first in a large publication at least in English. It is a nice tunic for a restore and a good price. I will see it August 5th when I get back to the World.

Comment

I am back home and have the tunic, the tabs are standard size, the coat is very small and in addiiton the camera lens also appears to have distorted the size as well. The boards were repros but the tunic itself is very nice. Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
          There is a picture of a soldier wearing a very similar tunic in Brian L. Davis' book German Army Uniforms and Insignia 1933-1945 (First English edition, 1972) on page 93, chapter 3, first page. (I don't know if the pagination differs in subsequent editions.) There is a photo of a group of soldiers returning from training, with transitional helmets and different styles of tunics. The fellow third from left, carrying his helmet with left hand raised is wearing a pocketless tunic with silver colored buttons.

Steve
          Thanks for that! I knew the photo when you described it. I've seen it only 2000 times so I never niticed the "pocketless" tunics in it before!!!

I went back and re-looked at it (so now 2001 times!) and there is more than one being worn it appears.....June 1935???I have no clue what they are wearing in that photo.

The Davis book is almost 40 years old now! It contains plenty of errors, incorrect interpretations of the facts and a lot of omissions....but in many respects it is still the best single book published on German uniforms IMO.

I'm amazed at the number of newer collectors that I have met that don't bother picking one up and studying it, way too often their faliure is evident.

Comment

That photo is from the time period when they were experimenting with a lot of tunic designs etc. and wearing wierd Imperial hang-overs as well as modified WWI tunics. I have not seen other pictures of a tunic like that anywhere else. I agree the Davis book is a classic and even with problems a must have.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
              That photo is from the time period when they were experimenting with a lot of tunic designs etc. and wearing wierd Imperial hang-overs as well as modified WWI tunics. I have not seen other pictures of a tunic like that anywhere else. I agree the Davis book is a classic and even with problems a must have.
              I get long time ago and SS tunic poketless, but direktly from family. I never know why there are no pokets???

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X