Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjager Piped Officers field tunic

Hello Gentlemen,
    I thought I would share my latest acquisition, a beautiful gebirgsjager officer's piped field tunic. It is numbered to GJR137, and named inside to Ritter von Hoch. The tunic is dated Juni 1939, which pre-dates the use of the edelweiss. The tunic is a small size, but it is in outstanding condition. This is an exceedingly rare color piping to find in a piped field tunic, and I am thrilled to have found it.
    Thank you and best wishes,
    Curtiss
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It looks like a pip may have been removed...
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Curtiss

You always manage to get amazing uniforms. It is a rare waffenfarbe on a piped tunic and I love that it is named!!!.

amazing find

Juan

Comment

Smart looking jacket,congrats.

Glenn
                "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Potsdam (tailor address) is not exactly gebirgsjager territory...
                  but its a wonderful tunic. So no sleeve edelweiss on it? Never had one
                  because it predates that based on tunic construction date?
                  You would think they would have added it war time!
                  Mark of an elite unit!

Comment

Hello Gentlemen,
                    Thank you for the kind comments. Yes, there is no evidence of there ever being a sleeve edelweiss on the tunic. Yes, Potsdam is quite a distance from Gebirgsjaeger country, but I would have to assume that he was one of the officers transferred sometime after the Anschluss, or later. I would love to see an officers roster from GJR137. I do not see his name on the roster in the 1939 Rangliste, but this is before the tunic's tailor label date. It may be that he was killed before he had an opportunity to add an edelweiss to the tunic for wear after the war started. These are just some of the mysteries that would be fun to solve. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
                    I am attaching the tailor's label.
                    Thank you,
                    Curtiss
                    Attached Files

Comment

Love it!
                      Piped tunics really rock!

Comment

Beautiful find

Congrats,
                        Richard

Comment

Curtiss, I don't collect tunics, but that is just one phenomenal piece.

Nice score.....
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Very appealing tunic, outstanding find...congratulations.

Comment

The sleeve badge was authorized May 2nd 1939. I have a similar eagle GJ tunic for a man that transfered from GJ to regular Infantry with no sleeve badge dated 1938.

I have seen this tunic before, it looks nice but I personally would "check the math" and pull his service records from NARA. You may get a nice surprise, there was a DKiG in 1944 to an Inf. Hauptmann. In theory the owner of this tunic should have gained rank faster but if he was wounded he may not have recovered until later inthe War and may not have been fit for GJ thus assigned to a leg line unit. Need the paper.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X