Tropical Stabsfeldwebel Straps on E-stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical Stabsfeldwebel Straps on E-stand

I commented on the e-stand that this pair of shoulder straps warrant discussion because they are definitely not a standard pair of tropical shoulder straps.
    Field made? maybe, I don't know but I do have my doubts.
    With a non-standard pair such as this it is definitely better for all that they be looked at and commented upon carefully by experienced collectors.

http://70.87.163.50/forums/showthread.php?t=363710

I will start with the obvious and get other opinions from there. Quite unusually this set of straps does not have wool backing, either in brown or field grey. To me this is an obvious sign of being bad.

The seller has stated that this set has been shown to some well known collectors and received positive comments. If this is so then maybe they have a chance but I personally don't have any confidence in this set.

Thank you

Mark

I have also contacted the seller and asked that my name be removed as a reference to the legitamacy of these straps.
    I am as fallable as any collector while looking at photographs of varying quality, and if I did give an opinion on these, then it is simply just that - an opinion and no guarantee of authenticity.
    I do not recall seeing these, but Mark's concerns are legitimate - they are not standard factory produced by any means.
    The construction of the button-holes appears factory, while the actual top/bottom panels are more in line with a field-made set I own that has rock solid provenance from El Alamein...but why add the thinner material to the underside of the tongue if fieldmade?
    I would need a 'hands on' before making anything more than a statement that these could be period made straps, but with strong reservations.
    Attached is an original set of field-made NCO straps. Note how basic & functional these are, with no additions that mimic factory manufactured straps.
    Regards,
    Mark
    PS - I look forward to hearing other views on the straps in question...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NZMark; 06-25-2009, 10:37 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Comment

I lost my lust to play in this game. in one moment you say something to be right and then change your mind
      Last edited by anmarlodz; 06-26-2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

My advice is asked many times, and if something is not standard production or deviates from the norm radically, then I do not know ANYONE who can guarantee an items authenticity without an actual inspection, and an unbroken line of provenance. It's that simple.
        What you have been told by the person who sold you these straps flies in the face of any common sense answer that can be given for reasons I have already stated. I am sorry if this is not an answer that you'd like to hear.
        Regards,
        Mark.
        PS - "that those shoulderstraps are certainly orginals but not made in standart way" is not consistant with any answer I, or anyone I know, would give looking at these straps. Words such as "possibly, maybe, could be," are far more likely.
        Last edited by NZMark; 06-26-2009, 05:32 AM.

Comment

I would certainly like to know who your friend was that provided you with this information. Perhaps he should be called to account.

Mark

Comment

I lost my lust to play in this game. in one moment you say something to be right and then change your mind

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by anmarlodz View Post
                My collegue is member who nickname is 19BARBAROSSA41. Ask him about them but he told me nothing because he could not confirmed originality of those straps ( he had no knownledge about shoulderboards at all) so I asked him to get opinion from someone else cause I wanted to buy pair of original He asked NZMark for me about those straps and NZMark said to him than he like it and but will get second opinion from other bigger and more experience DAK collector to be sure . His friend with better knowledge said to him that those are ORIGINALS with non standart construction and said also that not all tropical shoulderboards typical construction with brown or green greatcoat underlayer and many late war tropical shoulderboards had used other underlayer cloth and this is the example of such late war shoulderboards.

Many advanced collectors of DAK in New Zealand do not like to give such opinions in case they are mis-quoted and what they say is bent to fit the purpose of who is quoting them.

I would be very surprised if any advanced collector of DAK in New Zealand would be willing to give a definite opinion on a non-standard or variation set of boards without having a hands on inspection of the boards in question.

They certainly would not want the opinion or advise which they might have offered being quoted to third parties or people un-known to them via the internet.

This is why such collectors often will not comment here on forums such as this in case what they say is taken out of context or was in fact not what they meant.

I think that when any of us start to re-quote the opinions of others then we need to tread with caution. Such is my experience to date,

Chris
                Last edited by 90th Light; 06-27-2009, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by anmarlodz View Post
                    Here are the words used by NZMark and his friend in eamil to my collector collegue ( who sent me screenshot of emails before I bought shoulderboards . probably my collector collegue will be angry because using the emails but I would like to comfirm what he and I have been told) :

" Interesting NCO straps. I like them, but I've sent the images to the biggest DAK collector I know for his opinion."

and few days later :

" Original with non 'standard' construction. Not all straps had brown or grey wool underlay. Late war tropical straps used rayon as well. Remember, these were completely made from scrap materials"

So there is straight said original with non standart brown/green wool underlay construction.
                    I would never bought item which I'm not sure or which I have no confirmation of being good one.
                    AS EVERYONE I would like to have ONLY original items.
                    I have no businees of collecting bad items ( not originals or in bad condition ) or selling items .

Sorry Mark for using corespondention between you and my collegue but I would like to show that I'm not lie saying that it has been confirmed by some authorities of DAK world
                    Anmarlodz,

to me your intentions are sincere but this is already starting to turn into a case of "Chinese Whispers"

I am a collector who will always give variations the time of day and have at times defended them on this forum but at end of the day, a variation is always a variation from the norm and will never command the price of beyond doubt or one look examples.

The straps you have there are a variation from what many on this forum like to see. In my opinion they certainly have a good chance of being right but I could not say more without a hands on inspection or checking against known original variations and field made examples.

Will be interesting to see what Mark says about what you have posted.

Regards, Chris

Comment

Hi

As a collector I had asked friends for opinions. The final responsability if I buy is only mine. As a collector you can ask for opinions, but nobody is infalible. I am afraid that many knowledgable collectors would not give opinions if their private e mails are exposed.
                      In my humble opinion they may be original, but as non standard the price should be very low. If they were pioneer I would consider to buy them to fill a void in my collection if the price was low.

Just my opinion

Juan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X