No announcement yet.

Award placement on tunic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had been ready to take the advice about placing the Reiterabzeichen on this tunic, until Johnny R gave me this site:

http://horsesoldier.wordpress.com/20...iterabzeichen/

There is a passage that states:

"According to German cavalry historian Klaus Richter, the army made little use of the badges. This may have been because during the same period the army was in the midst of a dramatic increase in size and modernization program encouraged by the Nazis. It also may have been because military riders, as professionals, did not see a need for a badge to represent what was already represented by their rank and branch of service. It may have been that the testing for and wearing the badges was beneath the dignity of cavalrymen and horse artillerymen.
    Since it was originally conceived as a civilian sports award before the Nazis came to power, it was one of the few German military qualification badges of the Nazi era that did not have a military design or include the swastika insignia."

Now I'm unsure how period-accurate it would be.......Any further opinions?

Cheers,
    Bob.
    Last edited by bobcam1; 06-23-2009, 10:55 PM.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Bob, I have seen quite a few period pictures of this badge in wear on tunics. Jacques

Comment

Originally posted by bobcam1 View Post
        I had been ready to take the advice about placing the Reiterabzeichen on this tunic, until Johnny R gave me this site:

http://horsesoldier.wordpress.com/20...iterabzeichen/

There is a passage that states:

"According to German cavalry historian Klaus Richter, the army made little use of the badges. This may have been because during the same period the army was in the midst of a dramatic increase in size and modernization program encouraged by the Nazis. It also may have been because military riders, as professionals, did not see a need for a badge to represent what was already represented by their rank and branch of service. It may have been that the testing for and wearing the badges was beneath the dignity of cavalrymen and horse artillerymen.
        Since it was originally conceived as a civilian sports award before the Nazis came to power, it was one of the few German military qualification badges of the Nazi era that did not have a military design or include the swastika insignia."

Now I'm unsure how period-accurate it would be.......Any further opinions?

Cheers,
        Bob.

I would say that is an attempt to put a spin on the facts contrary to what we know from photographic evidence- it was worn, and is fairly common to see especially with Vet and Cavalry officers. Probably an attempt to distance the award and its history from the NSDAP. Pretty common tactic in Germany after the War.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny R View Post
          I would say that is an attempt to put a spin on the facts contrary to what we know from photographic evidence- it was worn, and is fairly common to see especially with Vet and Cavalry officers. Probably an attempt to distance the award and its history from the NSDAP. Pretty common tactic in Germany after the War.
          Johnny and Jacques,

I'm MUCH more inclined to believe YOU, than the website..... I will start my search for the badge, straightaway....

Is it true that the badge has ALWAYS had the same appearance, either wartime or otherwise? There is a site that is selling one, along with it's stickpin, but says that it's a "57" issue.....If it is unchanged in appearance form the wartime issue, I'll grab it. If not, I'll continue the search.

Thanks SO much for your input. I am truly grateful.

Cheers,
          Bob.
          I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

My understanding is that the post-war Reiter Badge did not have the "R" at the bottom of the wreath.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...22#post2251003

Paul

Comment

AMEN !

Comment

Originally posted by Paul McKee View Post
                My understanding is that the post-war Reiter Badge did not have the "R" at the bottom of the wreath.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...22#post2251003

Paul
                Correct.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X