X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

triangular M44 eagle/stug wrap

hello all,

i would like opinions about this specific point :
    does anyone know period pics or original items showing a triangular M44 eagle, normaly worn on M44 tunic,
    factory sewn on a standart Heer wool feldgrau "stug" wrap (not sewn throught the internal liner) ?
    despite my research, i can't find any example of this feature.
    thanks by advance.
    derka
    PS : you can pm me infos if you prefer.

Yes, this was commonly done.

Comment

re,

thanks Mr Davis.
      but do you know period pic(s) showing this ?
      if so, after september 1944 i presume ?
      derka

Comment

Apologies derka but my books and photos are packed from a move. Hopefully some other member will post a wartime image showing this application.

Attached is a current photo of an example with national emblem applied in this fashion. This was done on black panzer wraps also.
        Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps it did occure, but I have never seen a period photo of a wrapper wearing the triangel eagle.

Could be possible (perhaps) but not wide spread IMO

Comment

There is no 'perhaps'. The practice was quite widespread. I have had 8-10 wraps with national emblems applied this way and could scan wartime photos IF I had access to them at the moment. Attached is a shot of a '44 dated black wrap with eagle sewn in same fashion.
            Attached Files

Comment

re,

no need to apologize in anyway, Mr Davis, and thanks for the pics .
              i didn't know that a black version existed.
              of course, if you know period pics, that's a big point.

it seems eagle's appliation is classical,
              done with a reverse stiching of the horizontal edge, eagle' s head down,
              then eagle is folded in its normal position and the 2 other edges are seewn ?
              like on this one :

derka

Comment

Attached is a current photo of an example with national emblem applied in this fashion. This was done on black panzer wraps also.

Mr. Davis,
                really beautifull wrap! Is the stitching of the eagle passing through the lining? I know that in 44 this was factory done (at least on army 4 pockets tunics)

Gustavo

Comment

Originally posted by necker View Post
                  ...Could be possible (perhaps) but not wide spread IMO
                  Believe in what you are being told by Mr. Davis (someone who knows), this was quite a common insignia configuration on both green and black later war wraparounds.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Originally posted by Gustavo66 View Post
                    Is the stitching of the eagle passing through the lining? I know that in 44 this was factory done (at least on army 4 pockets tunics)

Gustavo

Actually, for the black wrap, it does - and I have seen others originally applied the same way. But that opens up another potentially contentious discussion!

As for the green wraps, I have never seen the national emblem stitching originally sewn through the lining and, if memory serves, I only recall the lower part of the eagle being finished by straight stitch on these late wool wraps.

But of course I haven't seen it all and seem to remember less and less....

Comment

re,

thanks for your inputs, gentlemen.
                      i shall precise that the eagle on the green wrap's pic i put (not my wrap) is not sewn throught the lining.

derka

Comment

Here are a few more,both factory sewn and dated 44.

Glenn
                        Attached Files
                        "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

re,

thanks for your pics too Mr McInnes.

is it common to see standart eagles (not the specificic triangular eagle made for M44 tunic) on black or green late wraps, but applied with their background folded in a triangular shape, to simplify the stiching work ?

and if the factory stiching is always straightly done,
                            should it be considered as a red flag if not ?

derka

Comment

Originally posted by derka View Post

is it common to see standart eagles (not the specificic triangular eagle made for M44 tunic) on black or green late wraps, but applied with their background folded in a triangular shape, to simplify the stiching work ?

and if the factory stiching is always straightly done,
                              should it be considered as a red flag if not ?

derka

Yes it is common to see standard eagles folded as a trapazoid to simplify things on later produced items.I think I have seen them zig zag sewn as well.

Same holds true for T type insignia that were often folded and applied as a trapazoid on M43 hats.

Glenn
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X