Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cloth luft eagle opinions?

Hi all,
    here we go then! here's one of my recent aquisitions.
    I can't quite find a perfect match during my searches on this forum. What do you think?
    your opinions will be very much appreciated, as always.

jon
    Attached Files

Hi Jon,
    I have many examples on file of luft eagles and this does resemble a few of them.
    The eagle does appear to be a mildly salty one.It does appear to have the multi thread effect on the rear,that originals do have..The photos do appear to be slightly over exposed to pick that up properly,but it does appear to be there.
    It does seem to have the dual stranded thread that should be evident on the top of the wings.

Seems fine to me

regards Keifer

Comment

Thanks Keifer,
      by 'multi thread' do you mean another sandy colored thread is used on the reverse? If so, then does have that.

And also,
      can you explain what a 'dual-stranded thread' should look like at the top of the wings? It looks the same as the rest of the eagle to me...

regards
      jon

Comment

Hi jon,
        yes, basically you should see evidence of two types of thread used on the rear.The first colour that should be evident is the same thread as used on the front of the piece.The second colour evident should be the sandy coloured thread as you described.This effect occurs due to the use of two bobbins in the embroidering of the piece.Typical characteristic of genuine items.
        Repros tend to be the same front and rear.

As for the "dual strand".
        my description wasnt the best,so ill try to rephrase it.
        If you look at the top set of feathers on both sides of the eagle,you should see a set of dual strand threads, in between each set of feathers.There should be basically 6 sets on the left hand side(looking at the eagle of course)and 4 sets on the right hand side.
        Does that make sense?

regards keifer

Comment

there are these threads on the right:
          Attached Files

Comment

and none on the left?

regards
            jon
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi jon,
              the threads on the right are the ones im referring to.The absence of threads on the left maybe due to wear.In salty pieces these do fray and virtually dissapear.
              Its not a problem to see them in mint unissued pieces but with any worn piece some characteristics change .I have a luft cap eagle,that is missing several on the left hand side,but you can see the trace of the thread.i do see some trace elements of the missing thread on the left hand side of yours as well.
              Also ,look at the back, as there is an opposing set of dual strand thread in exactly the same spot on the reverse.these normally dont wear as much due to the fact they werent exposed to the same wear and tear as the outter side.

The closeups definately confirm that you have a salty but definitely original luft eagle.

regards keifer

Comment

Thanks Keifer,
                I've learnt alot, very quickly.
                Hmmm, I still can't see any evidence of the left hand threads, front or back. And even though it's a bit salty, I'd say it was unissued.
                I'm at a military show next weekend, so I'll put your tricks to the test, and get my loupe out on some more examples...

How are you on KM eagles?
                I'm going to post 3 of mine (on a seperate thread) for yours, and everyone else's opinions. I thought they were all OK, but the more I hear about the 'cloth' side of things, the more I wonder...

thanks again
                jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X