"The Green Police" uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Green Police" uniforms

My father in law is directing the diary of Anne Frank and he wanted to know what the "green police" would wear. He would like to make his show authentic. Honesly I am not familiar with this term (I guess it is the Dutch arm of the SS? Police?) and this might be a good one for "political" but I figured I would give it a shot here as well. Any information would be great!
    Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Given the Anne Frank diaries were written from 1942-44, the police uniform would be the Schutzpolizei (Schupo) des Reiches uniform, the standard police green Reich Protection Police uniform with dark brown collar cuff. Sure a green Feldbluse of types or later M43 style police could also be applicable.

The “green police” was used to describe the color of earlier uniforms the city police wore. Unfortunately, I sold my tunic example before I had a digital camera and I can’t find any other pictures to show you. Anyway, the most recent reference of “green police” to era can be found in Wittmann’s new SS book in reference to putting down The Munich Putsch in 1923.
    Interested in the Gendarmerie - Schutzpolizei - Gemeinden - Feuerschutzpolizei - Wasserschutzpolizei - Etc. Looking For Anything Polizei Related!

Comment

Well, not so fast. If I remember right, this all happened in Holland didn't it? If that's the case, would the police have been in German, rather than Dutch, police uniforms? They might have - I'm just not sure. Dave, you have any archival photos of the police taken in Holland?

Anyway, I'd guess that the term 'green police' came from the fact that the municipal police branch color was green.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Suter (Sarge)
        Well, not so fast. If I remember right, this all happened in Holland didn't it? If that's the case, would the police have been in German, rather than Dutch, police uniforms? They might have - I'm just not sure. Dave, you have any archival photos of the police taken in Holland?

Anyway, I'd guess that the term 'green police' came from the fact that the municipal police branch color was green.
        Wasn't the difference between Schupos and Orpos the color of their arm patches? I know I've see Green and Orange patches . . .

Comment

German police in Holland did wear their own uniforms. The terms "green police" and "blue police" date from before the Third Reich and were carried over like we now say "state or local cops."

"Blue police" in the Imperial and Weimar Republic periods wore dark blue tunics and were local (municipal) police. Some "blues" continued to wear SPIKE HELMETS well into the late 1930s!!!

"Green police" did exist in some pre-1919 formations, but the term was usually taken in the 1920s to refer to what we would call the State or urban police. In Prussia that was the Schutzpolizei (SchuPo) and in Bavaria the Landespolizei (or LaPo). Both originally wore dark green uniforms similar to the army tunics of the same period, with police insignia. Third Reich police eventually all ended up in uniforms similar to army color, and so though the color terms no longer referred to their actual dress, the distinction in function would have remained in people's minds the way I can still remember "black and whites" as police patrol cars (that's "pandas" to you Old Brits ). The term held on longer than the uniform.

I would consider the use of the term "green police" at that time and place to indicate "normal" (albeit German occupation personnel) urban police, as opposed to the "Security Police" (SD of the SS), military police, and so on.

Here is a "green" LaPo officer (later a Luftwaffe general) from the 1920s in a uniform virtually identical to the army's then--except for the color-- in the dark green uniform that created the contemporary term:
          Attached Files

Comment

"Green police" in WW2 were SchuPo, "normal" (though they were engaged in activities hardly suitable to that term in many areas) police--
            Attached Files

Comment

Another 1938+ Polizei-Meister (officer's cap cords with enlisted tabs and belt buckle apparently had something to do with years of seniority) standing in front of what appears to be my grammar school stage with cloth covered stereo speaker!

A "green policeman" would have looked much like a soldier to civilians-- except for the BROWN collars, cap bands (and tunic cuffs). The real distinctive characteristic would have been the SHAKOS worn on duty by most policemen.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sebastian,
                I have here a quote from the website of the "Anne Frank Foundation"
                Who arrested Anne Frank?
                The Austrian policeman Karl Silberbauer. He worked with the Amsterdam division of the Gestapo: the secret police of the Nazis. Four Dutch policemen also help with the arrest on August 4, 1944.
                So you should be looking for the correct uniforms of the dutch police. The Gestapo usually wore civilian clothes.

The Dutch policemen could be either "Schalkhaar" or "Gemeentepolitie"
                The "Schalkhaar" was a dutch policeforce educated to German standards. The "Gemeentepolitie" was the city police that had standard dutch police training.

I have more info but will have to dig it out to find out what uniforms these dutch policemen wore.

you can also contact me privately by e-mail
                Last edited by Ernst-H; 11-18-2003, 05:49 AM.

Comment

to add:

If your father wishes to use the "Grüne Polizei" he should indeed use the "Schutzpolizei des Reiches". They were present in Amsterdam. If I remember correctly their barracks were just outside the citycentre.

In the Netherlands the term "Grüne Polizei" was used because the difference between Dutch police and german police.
                  The Dutch police wore a dark blue uniform while the german police wore the polizei-green uniforms.
                  No Tschako's would be worn. If on service in the Netherlands these Schupo's wore the Steel Helmet. When they had time off they could wear the Schiffchen or the Visorcap or the Bergmütze. After 1943 the production of the visorcap was halted in favour of the M43-Einheitsmütze. But in 1944 (arrest of Anne Frank) the visorcap might still have been worn......when off duty.

Quite confusing as I have just noticed that in the closing words of the "Diary of Anne Frank" the term "Grüne Polizei" was indeed used.
                  My copy of the diary is however an old one and the use of the term "Grüne Polizei" can be explained by the generalisation by the Dutch People in regard to the occupying police forces. All german policeforces would be mentioned as "grüne polizei".

But as said in my previous post it wasn't the "Grüne Polizei" that arrested Anne Frank and her family. The website of the "Anne Frank Foundation" is the most up to date and thus we may believe that their account of the arrest (as quoted above) is accurate.
                  Last edited by Ernst-H; 11-18-2003, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone, I apreciate it.
                    Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

And here is the thank you from my father in law...

"Yes. Thank everyone for me. That was awesome."
                      Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                      X